live blood worm

danielryan

Sep 7, 2009
wallington
is it possible to cultivate these, so i can feed on demand? rather than having to pop down the lfs everytime i want some!

and if so, how!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Theres a couple of links here that may help

http://www.ehow.com/about_5449377_bloodworm-farming.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5138734_raise-bloodworms.html

Theres something similar to bloodworms that is available in the uk called Joker

Both bloodworm and joker are the larvae of closely related two-winged flies. Bloodworms become non-biting midges (buzzers) and jokers turn into gnats. They are both aquatic and live in the bottom sludge. Bloodworms only live in still, sometimes stagnant water, lightly polluted by, for example, farm run-off. Jokers, on the other hand, are only found in running water lightly polluted with sewage.

Both are worm-like and usually red, though you may come across other colours from time to time. Bloodworms tend to be sluggish and grow up to 2cm (3/4in) long- Jokers are smaller, only reaching 8mm (1/3in), but they are much livelier. It is these variations that make their uses in fishing so different and so complementary. Bloodworm, being bigger, are an excellent hookbait, whereas Jokers, which dart around in water, are an unbeatable fish attractor, holding fish in a swim like magic.
quote from an angling forum
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Bloodworm-Joker-t40990.html

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
You can actually "culture" Bloodworms (and midge larvae) fairly easily, even in the winter. It is a very low tech process, all you need is a bucket or tray of rainwater, and a good big handfull of leaves. You put the leaves in the bucket, and pour the rainwater on, then wait about a month, give the water/leaves a good swirl, and run an aquarium net through the suspended organic "gunge". Then run the net under the cold tap, to flush out all the fine sediment, tip the net contents into a washing-up bowl, and then syphon or net out all the blood worms and midge larvae (smaller, thinner and banded). If you aren't in a hurry you can leave the contents over night and by the morning the blood worms will be in tight little knots with all the leaf fragments. In the summer you get mosquito larvae as well, and in the winter you can innoculate the bucket with Daphnia and harvest those as well.

I have 2 buckets, and a tarpaulin with rain-water puddle in it, and I'll harvest 20 or 30 bloodworms every weekend through the winter, simple as that, and no worries about polluted water or the blood-worms being dead before they were frozen, you can also "store" them live in damp peat in the fridge for weeks on end.

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hi all,
You can actually "culture" Bloodworms (and midge larvae) fairly easily, even in the winter. It is a very low tech process, all you need is a bucket or tray of rainwater, and a good big handfull of leaves. You put the leaves in the bucket, and pour the rainwater on, then wait about a month, give the water/leaves a good swirl, and run an aquarium net through the suspended organic "gunge". Then run the net under the cold tap, to flush out all the fine sediment, tip the net contents into a washing-up bowl, and then syphon or net out all the blood worms and midge larvae (smaller, thinner and banded). If you aren't in a hurry you can leave the contents over night and by the morning the blood worms will be in tight little knots with all the leaf fragments. In the summer you get mosquito larvae as well, and in the winter you can innoculate the bucket with Daphnia and harvest those as well.

I have 2 buckets, and a tarpaulin with rain-water puddle in it, and I'll harvest 20 or 30 bloodworms every weekend through the winter, simple as that, and no worries about polluted water or the blood-worms being dead before they were frozen, you can also "store" them live in damp peat in the fridge for weeks on end.

cheers Darrel
Thats good info, sounds easy enough:yes:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I may have to give that a go, dw1305 how do you get it past the missus? as this is probably the most important peace of information. lol

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'm not sure what "midges" Australia has, I would suspect that you have some pretty similar ones.

I had a look here <http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~ethanbr/chiro/Directory/direct_d.html> and you definitely have some. <http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/chiropage/index.html>.

I originally used the buckets to culture mosquito larvae, in the UK you only get these in the summer, but when I was pouring the water and sludge away in the autumn I noticed the bloodworms, and then I found the same when I was cleaning the water butts out in the spring, put 2 and 2 together and found that you could harvest bloodworms all through the winter.

I'm not sure whether the adult midges are active in the winter or whether the very small bloodworms grow slowly through the winter. I always tip the left-over small bloodworms, stray Daphnia and leaf fragments back into the buckets, so that is a possibilility.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Should have said I just leave the buckets in a shady spot in the garden, and we don't have any nasty mosquito carried diseases like West Nile Disease, Malaria, Dengue etc. in the UK.

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
A bucket of dirty water in the garden?

Wife returns from a day at Gestapo HQ and said bucket is over my head

Sounds bloody fun

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
try a garden pond- no good for blood worm but good for harvesting midge lava and daphnia etc (until it freezes in the winter)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
If I can find a digital camera that doesn't have flat batteries in it, I'll get some photos of the bloodworm bucket and "catch".
cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Don't let your bloodworm bucket freeze

Hi all,
What I should have said before the weather turned so cold is that you mustn't let your "bloodworm" bucket freeze solid, or all your bloodworms (and everything else) will be killed.

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hi all,
What I should have said before the weather turned so cold is that you mustn't let your "bloodworm" bucket freeze solid, or all your bloodworms (and everything else) will be killed.

cheers Darrel

bloodworm ice cubes, great for jokes at xmas:clap::clap:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Grow your own Bloodworms in a bucket

Hi all,
Bloodworms (hopefully) and leaves, from the bucket that I 1/4 filled with leaves in the autumn and allowed to fill with rainwater.
I didn't take a picture but is a 99p black plastic builders bucket.

Leaves emptied into a white tray with enough water to cover the leaves.

Any bloodworms and other "wee beasties" - in this case Ostracods "seed shrimps", pipetted out (TA Aquaculture sell the pipettes, under "miscellaneous").

It's a result, wriggling, rinsed and ready to feed.

cheers Darrel