can any 1 tell me what

Craig09

Apr 28, 2009
darlington uk
hi guys ive heard a lot of ppl on here talk about RO water just wonderd is it good for a fish tank and where would i buy some if i wanted it

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Some LFS sell RO but before using it you need to understand water
It is not just a case of it wet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis#Reef_aquariums

This may help a bit

The 2 questions you need to ask are
1 Why am I using RO if the answer is my tap water is crap or my fish need better water then go for it.
Question 2 is can I afford it ie will it work our less of a cost to try some different way of water quality treatment?

Raw RO water is as deadly to fish as is raw sewage.

Before adding it to a tank it must be what some people call Mineralised that is some form of buffer to stabilise the PH is needed along with salts and other things.

Most shops that sell RO will sell a product to re mineralise RO water

I myself use a very small amount of re mineralisation but use HMA water again a field were mines are.

My basic mix is to add HMA water to my RO water to get a TDS of around 130 to 150 then bring it up with some form of re mineralisation.

HMA is almost the same proses to the 1st two stages of RO production ie it is passed through a filter to remove sediment them carbon to remove a few of the pollutants ie lead ect.

IN a RO unit the water is then passed over a very thin membrane think of this like a fine sieve.

Water pressure forces the water to try and pass through the membrane, around 1/3 will get through the membrane the rest is called rejected water it is not as some people think holding the pollutants the membrane holds them.

For me it is the perfect way to get good quality water but you must remember its only a part of the sum.

If you want a more detailed explanation PM and I will give my phone number to you.

Regards Bob Marklew

Last edited:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
:goodpost: Def about time you did an article:yes:
I do keep trying just with my Hypan breeding empire L410, L147,L129,L316, L ect my Eheim refurbishment empire my oak cave empire and my day job I seem to have no time

Regards Bob