92 gallon tropical fish tank problem

ecoreef

Jul 29, 2016
Adelaide
Hello everyone

I have had fish since i was a child from a small bowl with two gold fish up to a 15 gallon tank then adding a few more varieties of fish, so about two months ago i treated myself and got a 92 gallon fish tank for sale, i built my own wooden support which looks beautiful and fits perfectly and then got these to products for the tank

1. Tetra whisper UL air pump with stones
2. Aqueon sunmersible aquarium heater
3. Top fin digital thermometer
4.ZOO MED 501 turtle canister tank filter
5. Stones/sand Decorations etc

As of a two weeks ago the water had started to go a cloudy colour so i kept to clean out all the filter systems, change the sand and stones made sure the heater was working pretty much everything i could think of and yet my fish are dropping one my one. The PH levels are not far from what they should be i couldn't be that....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Example picture below mot far from what i have

Thanks

Last edited:

fissh

May 1, 2016
california, USA
Your tank is going threw a new tank (nitrogen) cycle. You need to quit cleaning it, and let it cycle, you need to add 1 of the many brands of bio start up, that help get your tank to age faster, and some test kits. A master test kit is the way to go. Most tanks take 3 to 6 weeks sometimes longer to age enough to hold the some of the more delicate fish. Once your tests say your in a safe range, then start changing water, 1/3 to 1/2 every 2 or 3 weeks depending on how many fish are in the tank. It's very normal to lose some fish in a new set up. Good luck, Harry

ecoreef

Jul 29, 2016
Adelaide
Your tank is going threw a new tank (nitrogen) cycle. You need to quit cleaning it, and let it cycle, you need to add 1 of the many brands of bio start up, that help get your tank to age faster, and some test kits. A master test kit is the way to go. Most tanks take 3 to 6 weeks sometimes longer to age enough to hold the some of the more delicate fish. Once your tests say your in a safe range, then start changing water, 1/3 to 1/2 every 2 or 3 weeks depending on how many fish are in the tank. It's very normal to lose some fish in a new set up. Good luck, Harry
Thank you so much Harry,

Right so let it run through from 3-6 weeks to find it's neutral stage. And i am going to do some research on the master test kits and order one in asap. Thank you for replying so fast Harry you have probably saved some fishes live today!!

:thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Right so let it run through from 3-6 weeks to find it's neutral stage. And i am going to do some research on the master test kits and order one in asap. Thank you for replying so fast Harry you have probably saved some fishes live today!!
I'm not sure what plants you have available to you in Australia, but if you add a floating plant it will help improve water quality.

Plants aren't just decoration, they make <aquarium management a lot easier>.

cheer Darrel

fissh

May 1, 2016
california, USA
Plants are good for water quality, they help keep the tank stable. just make sure you have good lighting that grows plants. Get the dead leaves out and trim the plants. I would hold off on the plants until your tank stabilizes, then you can try a few, if you want. good luck on your big tank, Harry

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi , I also have a corner tank, 54g . I tried real plants , wasted lots of money because I don't have the right lighting or a green thumb. So I use silk plants made for the aquarium, and it is fine for ME. Most people want the real thing so I just wanted to add my 2 cents and advise that live plants can bring in all kinds of nasties , so they can be cleaned prior to adding to tank . Use 1 part bleach to 9 parts water , for 90 seconds. Then rinse the heck out of the plant until you cant smell the bleach anymore , and rinse some more. This also takes care of snails ,and as many fishkeepers know , one snail can turn into hundreds ,unless you have fish that eat them . We quarantine our fish for a month before adding to main tank to be sure no illness, but forget to clean the plants sometimes. just an fyi and good luck with your corner tank ...love it ! Georgie

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hope the tank is going ok
Just to add if you don't want to use normal plants java moss is very easy to grow and really helps water quality mine grows like mad and have to keep trimming it