Dwarf Shrimp & Calcium

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Do Dwarf Shrimp Need Calcium?

In short Yes!! calcium is a very important mineral additive for dwarf shrimp.
It is needed for the shrimp to molt properly and for it to re-grow its molted casing which is very high in calcium this is why you will often see your shrimps piling onto a newly molted casing its also a sign that they require a little more calcium added to their tank water or diet.

Another sign of calcium deficiency is females stopping getting berried this is something that people often experience when changing to RO water as all the minerals have been stripped from the water.

There are many ways to add calcium to your shrimp tanks 1) Directly to the shrimp tanks water 2) Dietary supplement.
As I run so many shrimp tanks I use Shirakura Liquid Mineral Ca+ for ease of use and I find it very effective I also use bentonite clay in with the water at water change time to add extra calcium the results are that the white color on my CRS is much more rich and smooth.

You can also try the following methods to add calcium to your shrimp tanks:
Cuttlebones grind it down and add to a feed mix although the dose is a bit hit and miss.
algae-biofilm (naturally has calcium)
Powdered milk no more than 10% of total daily feed.
Finely crushed oyster shell
Crushed/powdered eggshell
;)
Written by Jo

Welsh

Jun 25, 2010
South Wales, UK
What I feed mine is Hikari crab cuisine and they love it, there is also some cuttlebone in there and some muscle shells.

What colour substrate to you use, I know black makes their colour pop but are there any other colours that will also do this?