L114 for sexing

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
This is over 7" and not overly spikey, Im hoping it's a female, any ideas?

The pics were taking on my phone with the flash off, hopefully they are good enough to to have a good guess :D

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I think it should be mature enough by that size (I've read of others smaller as well). You should be able to tell by the shape of the vent. Males have a pointy triangle/cone and females more broad and blunt.

There's thread in the ID section of PlanetCatfish atm with loads of pics of Pseuda leopardus/cf. leopardus, you should check it.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I would have to agree with you Gem it does look like a female, have you got a male to go with it then?
I have 2 others growing on which are approx 5" at present, although these are very shy and I rarely see more than their tails so I've I couldn't even guess at sexing them and I'm guessing it could take some time to get to the size of this one.

I think it should be mature enough by that size (I've read of others smaller as well). You should be able to tell by the shape of the vent. Males have a pointy triangle/cone and females more broad and blunt.

There's thread in the ID section of PlanetCatfish atm with loads of pics of Pseuda leopardus/cf. leopardus, you should check it.
Great stuff, I'll check it out :D

Thanks all

Cheers
Gem

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
when you have a group of 114's together look down over the top of them and the male has a much more beefy head on him than does the female...

when you have both sexes together it stands out like the proverbial "dogs balls"

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
A lovely find Gem - I think female the males are super spiky I had to move mine a few days piking up the male put pin holes in my hand, my pair are breeders the female cant be any bigger than 6" male only slightly longer but far more bulk if that makes sense lovely fish Gem only drawback is that they hide more than most hypans :(

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
This one is quite happy to be out at feeding times but only see the other 2 once in a blue moon which is quite impressive considering their size, lol

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
one is female it looks like u have a male to they should breed soon for u as long as u have a breeding log cav