Lilaeopsis Novea-Zealandiae

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Hairgrass is always my favourite, easier to keep than what you have mentioned. I believe there are two common types eleocharis parvula and another that I can't remember but one grows longer than the other

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
And you can trim it quite heavily, could also have a look at echinodorus tennellus, a nice low growing mini sword

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
3???? you would probably get away with one. like you said should be fun planting each individual plantlet and if happy each of those will send out runners and you'll have double the amount in a few months

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
The guy that was selling the hairgrass said there is only a small bit of hairgrass in a pot so that's wy he is selling 3 pots a time.I found a web site last night that shows the best way to plant them. With 3 pots to plant I'm looking at 1 to 2 hours sorting them out and planting..... Should be fun :)

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,got my hairgrass today.now i havnt got time to plant it today,only free day is sunday :(.so,whats the best way to keep the plants,3 pots, so thay dont die before i plant them?
i dont wont to add them to the tank yet just in case there are bugs and algea ect on them.is it ok to leave in a bucket with a little easycarbo as a dip till sunday?
don,t wont them to die before i add them.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Other nice carpeting plants:

hemianthus callitrichoides - didn't have much luck with this one myself

riccia fluitans - I have this floating but effective as carpeting plant

cryptocoryne parva - had this before , did get some spot algae but really nice.

Haven't had echinodorus tennellus that FF recommends but a really nice plant would have it in my tank.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
managed to find time to plant the hairgrass this morning,just got back from shopping etc and found 3 of them floating :wb:
so replanted them and have just seen ned dig them up again :dk:
don,t think hes kean on the new plants.