male or female

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
your thoughts guys, just to note that this fish is quite thin due to competing for food in previous tank, this is silverdubs fish

thanks for looking

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
bit hard to sex till its conditioned and well fed.
maybe someone more familiar with this specicies can tell from head shape?

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
lol!! i should have known! sorry for my ignorance! but the way gee the fish you saw wasn't black and white and stripey was it?lol! and possibly behind a magnifying glass?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Off head shape i would say male but untill conditioned it would be difficult to be exact.
Problem is the fat deposits situated around the facial area need to be present to show the fish's actual shape.
HTH

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
Off head shape i would say male but untill conditioned it would be difficult to be exact.
Problem is the fat deposits situated around the facial area need to be present to show the fish's actual shape.
HTH
i always thought with psuedas that with head shape U = male and V = female. to me the the head shape in the pic looks like V but the general body shape looks male, although it could be because its thin?

Last edited:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
The head shape is the key with the majority of large plecs regardless of species, due to your fish being under weight the actual body shape will be deceiving and as cup said it is alot easier when there are 2 fish side by side.