Sexing zebs ....

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hello Elaine

You can see them because Windows live is linking them from your hard drive onto the site your viewing. You could of course just give us your log in details:D

Cheers

thegeeman

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
I see them now :) to be honest for 100% certainty they are a bit on the small size yet at a guess there is one male and a female the other not sure also this is not a comment to offend you at all, but they are either very very very stressed or not in the best of health very washed out some ragged finage maybe just need some TLC

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
The link is working but i posted them here for for easy reference, tried resizing them with photoshop, but Photobucket might keep them at their original size;

Looking at the close ups of three fish and going by odontal growth, i think the first picture looks male, the second picture is harder to tell but also looks male, and the third picture looks female.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks Jo,

No offense taken ... LOL.

They are not mine but zebs I have been offered for sale. Just out of interest, which is the one you consider most likely to be female ?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
If any I would say the bottom one out of the picture of the 3 together the other 2 are developing male heads IMO and I do doubt myself a lot LOL
thats what i was thinking, top 2 look more male but to be honest id say they all need conditioning

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes need a good feed,
I would not be surprised if all are male, they have quite thick and long front ray on pec fins anyway, and nose profiles not very different
but probably not fully adult yet so hard to be sure.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Going by the hands in the pics they look about 1.5 - 2"....
I dont want to guess at that size...

BUT if you buy them as all male - you might get a nice surprise :)

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated !

They are supposed to be 7cm+ but don't really look that from the pics. They do look like they need a good few square meals though .... LOL !

Think I may go for the one most likely to be female and hope for the best.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I would say 2 Male's 1 Female, but personally i wouldn't purchase the fish until they have a little more weight about them, two of the three are on the emaciated side.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks for the advice Rabbit.

I just thought they needed a few good meals, but now that you mention it they do look very thin.