What kind of Royal?

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Hey everyone :) At an LFS today I saw a Royal Panaque who had gold & black stripes and red eyes. I've got the L190 & L191's. Is the gold-striped Royal just another color version of the L190? He was only 2" and the more I think about him the more I want to run back and get him.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Gold and black would indicate L27, but under certain conditions L190 can look a bit gold. Does it look something like this?

If it were me id take the chance that it was L27 since they are increasingly scarce these days since the Brazilian ban.

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Yes, just like that. The narrower stripes closer together. Except the one I saw has the juvie white band across his tail. How on earth would I know what it is if I got it? I want it anyway because it's a Royal though.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
From what ive seen, white/clear bands are not always present in juveniles of L27. Anyway, from what you say, yours sounds very similar to one of mine.

When I got him (stressed)

Settled

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Sort of like him (your's is awesome!) but the lines weren't broken on the one I saw (and want to get now!) and the lines were thinner still and closer together. My L190's head/mouth is narrower like the pictures of yours you posted. My L191's both have real broad heads. The gold/black striped one at the LFS had a real broad head, too, even though he was only 2".
In my 6' ft long 130 g Plec tank I've got a 6" L191, 5" L191 & a 6" L190. Can I fit this other Royal in there in your opinion? That'd be 4 Royals, is that pushing it?

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
That'd be 4 Royals, is that pushing it?
Are you looking to upgrade in the future?
4 small Royals won't be a problem if your filtration is up to it but if you wanted to keep them together long term you'd be looking at 8ft or more or the other option would be to get a 2nd 6ft and have 2 in each :dk:

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I've got over 20 tanks and 6 or 7 are over 100 g but I like having the Royals in the same tank. I do have an 8' tank, too. Well crud. I thought 4 was pushing it, too.

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I've got 2 AC 110's and an FX5 on their tank. The filters get cleaned weekly and the tank gets a 70% water change every 3-4 days. I figure if I'm syphoning poo out I may as well just drain it down 70% while I'm at it. And it's a poo factory in there with just 3 Royals lol

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Your setup and maintenance sound great, I would say you could comfortably get more, your only limiting factor is space. What do your nitrates run at?

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Your setup and maintenance sound great, I would say you could comfortably get more, your only limiting factor is space. What do your nitrates run at?
Nitrates are my favorite subject as I've got 6 Oscars in other tanks :)
The nitrates in the Plec tank always stay under 5 ppm. It just lucks out that way because I'm syphoning poo so often.
And I couldn't take it, I just couldn't take it-I had to go get him. The ones in the Plec tank now are only 6", 6" and under 5". I've got room at least for another year and I've got other tanks they can go in or if I have to I'll just buy them another tank down the road. So be it. Here's his picture in the bowl and right after putting him in his 20 long quarrantine tank. He gets a couple rounds of PraziPro and some time alone for 3-4 wks. I think he's an L190 with just lighter colored stripes, do you agree? He's 3", the stripes look tan in real life.
(The spots are not on him, it's the camera I guess)

ksane

May 7, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
What's so icredibly ironic is that I looked everywhere (all vendors, everywhere!) for an L190 since the end of 2007. I finally found my 6" on on AquaBid and got him about a month or so ago. Now I find this one :) That's ok, it's meant to be.