L129 Log

Written by cup


size: 20 gallon tall

substrate: a mix of co**** inert sand and pea gravel. I was playing around with different substrate types--some of the other tenets preferred sand

decor: driftwood, rocks, a lot of java moss, frogbit (initially melted in the warmer water--82F, and clogged all the filters with their debris)

caves: square slate caves tapered in the back. Removable tops.

filtration: two fluval 2s.

heating: stealth 150

maintenance: filters and water simultaneously cleansed once every week

tankmates: Ameca splendens, nanobagrus sp., pangio myersii and javanicus. LG6. Akysis sp. for a short while.

These fish are no longer with me, although the tank is now home to a pair of L-309s and several LDA08 and many, many livebearers.

the fish

The tank housed two males, two females. As this tank was housed in a cramped collegial apartment, diet was comprised mostly of dry foods. Hikari brand carnivore pellets and algae wafers were staples, and a tilapia/banana/broad bean mixture was frequently fed as well. Bloodworms were given infrequently, as the frozen stuff is a little too chitiney for my preferences. Blackworms would've been nice, but I never had access to the stuff. I was somewhat unhappy with the moss, as it seemed to collect a lot of debris, but I never did remove it. The fry did browse on it from time to time, I suppose due to the microfauna found there. There was surprisingly little aggression amongst the group. The females were very shy. I had a lot of trouble acclimating them, probably since they were from some aquarist in NY who no doubt had a totally different setup.


Spawning was unintentional. The water here is far softer and less loaded in TDS's than the water back home. Feed and breed. Current was not provided to any large degree. All water changes performed were with very cold tap water, so perhaps that might've spurned them forward. It should be noted that they were very reluctant to breed at first. If I walked by the tank, the female, who was previously trapped, would be out within minutes. Same thing would happen when I fed. So for the first two spawns, I stopped feeding until the male was fanning. Like all hypan fry, raising them was as easy as dropping a half a carni tab every night.