L002 sexing please

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Thing is are the females meant to be COMPLETELY hairless?
Females are not necessarily completely hairless. Certainly they don't get the course hair (odontodes) on the back half of the body like males do and the growth on the pectoral fins is not as pronounced. Pity you didn't get any vent shots when you had them out as that can help. What size are these fish btw?
I do not profess to be an expert and certainly there are some ppl here that have had alot more experience with these matters than i have. I usually consult the guru, our mighty Brengun when i have doubts.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
One and three may be female. Four and five definitely males. Two looked a bit hairy on the fins but could turn out female too.
To tell on the mature ones, males will have hairy butt and the pec fin hairs will stand up on the ends and even develop little hooks. Females have them but they will be shorter and will not stand up when the fin sits flat.

Have you tried picking them up? Guaranteed you will know the feel of males, their tails are like sandpaper. Females will feel only slightly rough and really quite smooth compared to males on the tail.

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
No I didn't pick them up actually. Maybe I should had :wb:. It will be virtually impossible now and my 4 foot is so heavily planted and there's drift wood everywhere. Won't be able to find them in there.

They are about 2 years old got them all as fry from 3 different people. Wonder how long more before they will start breeding..... Getting impatient :wb:

Thanks for the info really appreciate the feedback :clap:. I will try to keep a close eye on them.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ahhhh they joy of waiting for fry. It is itself like a wonder because it just takes time and a lot of waiting. good luck and keep us informed. cheers jk :thumbup: