Am i L27 Thunder ?

TIMY

Mar 28, 2011
THAILAND
This will be ship to me in a couple of days,hope someone here to guide me
the id of this piece before it being ship to me.
Thanks

Attachments

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Hmmmmm. I'm not sure what to call this. I'm starting to think there are more than 4 varieties of L027. Can you post some more pictures when you get it?

It looks like a larger version of one of mine.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Matt, I think it would be very safe to say there are more than 4 locations of Panaque Armbrusteri. Check this link out and prepare yourself http://silurus.acnatsci.org/ACSI/field/Pipe_Expedition/Loricariidae.html

Have a read about the full expedition, it is amazing. Also look at the location map and collection points. It shows how vast an area they are dealing with, As for human exploaration of the underwater parts of the Amazon....we have barely dipped our toes in the order.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
On another note, getting this little panaque for you when I did was one of the if not the rarest fish I've ever sourced. He is so cute.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Matt I agree with saying there could be more than 4 varieties.

The ones I have are all showing different patterns and even base cflour. The one timy shows here looks like a few of mine. The last thread he posted looks like a few others. Yours from the first thread you showed it in I was sure it's not a xingu like some said. It looks like a few of mine. One thing that stands out most to me is the x on it's head. I'd say half of mine have it. The other halfjust have odd looking lines on the head.

IMO easiest to tell apart even when juvie is the xingu.

I think most people being told they have xingus are in possession of a totally different type.

The closet thing I can say mine look like are two pics posted by nks stating the fish are thunder panaque. Yours and timys look similar as well.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Matt, I think it would be very safe to say there are more than 4 locations of Panaque Armbrusteri. Check this link out and prepare yourself http://silurus.acnatsci.org/ACSI/field/Pipe_Expedition/Loricariidae.html

Have a read about the full expedition, it is amazing. Also look at the location map and collection points. It shows how vast an area they are dealing with, As for human exploaration of the underwater parts of the Amazon....we have barely dipped our toes in the order.
Thats a great link to explore, thanks Alan. Something new to me after reading some, is that the areas they were collecting were the headwaters of the Xingu, Tapajos, Araguaia, so presumably these rivers are connected at least in some way. And then the Araguaia joins the Tocantins near Maraba (I think).

I've emailed Nathan Lujan, one of the guys who described P. armbrusteri and was on that PIPE expedition, to see if he can help a little.

On another note, getting this little panaque for you when I did was one of the if not the rarest fish I've ever sourced. He is so cute.
At the time I was a bit relieved you didn't get the 5 you expected, I wasn't much looking forward to the bill :whistle: But now I wouldn't have minded so much.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I've also just a Heiko Bleher for PFK article where he mentions Panaque cf Nigrolineatus Iriri I' - Iriri is tributory of the Xingu