ID needed

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
I'm posting this for a friend - anybody a clue as to what this might be? Looks like a lemon BN with spots but under white tank lights has a greenish tinge. I have no idea so wondered if any of you had any ideas as to what it is?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Another thought, has this fish always been this color?
I've had a GN lose its color before, looked exactly like that. Now not saying its a GN but rahter it could be caused by a similar condition.

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
Don't know abut how long it's been this colour as it's a friends. I think you're right it's a colour variant rather than a specific species.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Looks to be Ancistrus Temmincki or Tamboensis or something along those lines. Problem is in Peru they send out lots of BNs just as ancistrus Sp. so could be anything.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
It is a smart fish, I'm not a great fan of unnatural colours, but this looks really good.

I haven't seen one like it at all, but I think it a colour variant of the Common Bristlenose as well, one of the leucistic form of A. cf. cirrhosus aka "Ancistrus sp. 3"., and close to Ancistrus sp. (4) aka Black eyed yellow bristlenose, "L144" and the "Calico" mutant.

My understanding is that albinoism is a single gene mutation, if the fish has the albino gene it is albino with pink eyes etc, if it doesn't it is a normal dark BN and there is nothing in the middle.

I think the post was on PF, but some-one had done some work on this, and there are 3 different mutations that give albinos, all with pink eyes etc.

These leucistic (or oligomelanic, xanthic, amelanistic etc) forms just have some of the darker colours missing, either as gene mutation or by selective breeding for low pigment levels. In the latter case this fish would be a "blonde".

cheers Darrel