L182?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Nice fish indeed. What size is it, looking at the gravel I would say still small.
The L182 or L120 has a yellow stripe on dorsal and tail fin, which your seems not to have. Any chance of a full side shot and top shot ? Ancistrus at a young age are hard to tell apart sometime as there are so many varieties. cheers jk :thumbup:

anthonyh

May 13, 2011
manchester
Hello,

Nice fish indeed. What size is it, looking at the gravel I would say still small.
The L182 or L120 has a yellow stripe on dorsal and tail fin, which your seems not to have. Any chance of a full side shot and top shot ? Ancistrus at a young age are hard to tell apart sometime as there are so many varieties. cheers jk :thumbup:
Hi there,thanks for the reply.The fish itself is close to 6 inches,its a rescent buy from a guy closing his tank down.There are no yellow or white seams on the tail or dorsal and the more i look in the aqualog book the more i am convinced its a L182.There are only seven or eight bristles on the edge of its lip so at this size i am presuming its a female

Regards Tony

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Below is a male punctatus, not sure whether it is still alive, belonged to FFMKII on here, was the biggest Ancistrus I have ever seen, i just took the photo.

For me the pattern on the Pectoral is wrong for A. punctatus, looks more like sp Rio Ucayali to me with the rows of orangish spots

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Below is a male punctatus, not sure whether it is still alive, belonged to FFMKII on here, was the biggest Ancistrus I have ever seen, i just took the photo.

For me the pattern on the Pectoral is wrong for A. punctatus, looks more like sp Rio Ucayali to me with the rows of orangish spots
That was my thoughts at first glance.

anthonyh

May 13, 2011
manchester

I see what you mean about the orangish spots on the pectoral fin especially the first ray,thanks for the input xingu