BN crossbreading

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
So my common Bn Shortfin has bread with my Albeno Longfin

All the babys are doing fine and look great. I have some common short and longfin. Some albeno short and longfin

BUT

I have noticed that there are a few that are mixed between the two. And look quite nice i might add.

My question is though what are they called. Cause they are not commons or albeno

Thanks
Michael

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
ok i will get some pics soon. I have only just notice these few casue they are starting the get bigger.

And may i ask whats the difference between marble and calico ? i dont understand there breed names ?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Common BN genetics is an area I wish someone would tackle. THere are so many things going on. Conventional wisdom is that albino is a color-form of a common bn and that crosses between the two simply yield brown fry unless there is an albino gene in the brown then you get some albino as well. Calico/marble is thought to be a true-breeding color form like the albino and isn't normally thought to come from an albino/brown cross. But if you are indeed getting some marble/calico looking fry then there might be something else going on or more than we think. It could be as in anglefish where there are various genes that affect color and not just one.

Interested to see pics though.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Well said lornek8 as always
I'm thinking the common is from a calico X common
So as long as its breeding with a common the fry will be common but as it bred with a albino it's given the calico gene a chance

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
i have got some a bloke specifically bred to get a lf, a sf, c lf and c shortfin in every brood, true they do. he said there was supposed to be some calico in there but none have come out so far.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Those are pretty normal looking Brown fry. They don't begin looking like the adults but rather grow into their spots. Calico/marble is quite a different fish and, again, not a result of albinoxcommon.

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
well the ones that are brown with spots and black tales look soo different to there mum and dad. thats why i though the dad might be marble/calico.

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
So my question........

If you breed a common with abeino. Can they make a Marble ??????????
or does it just creat colour spins

ITS SOOOOOO confusing lol

And as i understand it Marble and calico are the same thing.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
This is a pic of calico fry.

This is a picture of a longfin calico adult.

Think I said it before but calico is not the result of an albino x common. Calico is a seperate color form like albino is to brown. Calico also breeds true.
Marble and calico are the same thing just differnet names.

Ancistrus claro is also called a marble bushynose but is not related to the calico/marble we're taling about here which is Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus.