Could someone sex my L340s please?

hullfishman

Apr 26, 2009
hull
all look male to me but they could do with a good feed, maybe fatten them up and get more pics in a month or so

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hello,

What size are they? Any chance of in focus shots direct from above ? I would suggest as well some fattening up and then more shots. cheers jk :thumbup:

Glyndwr

Apr 29, 2012
Devon
they are between 2 and 3 inches, and that's just my camera, not very good quality sorry...i'll see if i can borrow another one

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi Glyn,

Probably not what you want to hear I'm afraid, but they do all look male to me.
On saying that, I do have a couple of hairy ladies that spawn, so lots of good food and plenty of water changes and you never know.

Glyndwr

Apr 29, 2012
Devon
I bought them from Pier aquatics and they assured me that they would pick out 2 males and 4 females. I believe them to be all male but they still insist that they have sent 2m 4f. There is one which I question whether it is male or female, but even so I did not get the ratio they said they would give.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi Glyn,

You need a great deal of patience with breeding plecs I'm afraid and I would really suggest that you let the Mega Clowns settle for a bit. I have bred these fish and my breeding females were right 'hairy Marys' lol.

If they've come from Neil at Piers, then you can be assured that they are top quality fish and most likely the m/f ratio you requested ....... Neil does know his stuff when it comes to plecs. I've purchased a good few fish from Piers and have always been delighted with both the quality and health of the fish. My last lot from Neil are showing signs of spawning now and have grown into stunning adults.

Just sit tight a little while and I'm sure you'll get fry to raise before too long.
All the best of luck with them, they are lovely looking fish.

Glyndwr

Apr 29, 2012
Devon
Hi Glyn,

You need a great deal of patience with breeding plecs I'm afraid and I would really suggest that you let the Mega Clowns settle for a bit. I have bred these fish and my breeding females were right 'hairy Marys' lol.

If they've come from Neil at Piers, then you can be assured that they are top quality fish and most likely the m/f ratio you requested ....... Neil does know his stuff when it comes to plecs. I've purchased a good few fish from Piers and have always been delighted with both the quality and health of the fish. My last lot from Neil are showing signs of spawning now and have grown into stunning adults.

Just sit tight a little while and I'm sure you'll get fry to raise before too long.
All the best of luck with them, they are lovely looking fish.
Yes, I will probably keep them - but I have decided to add to my L066s so might sell them to fund that

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Just to add, I had 10 L340's, I took photo's of them all as I thought they were all male, put the pics up here and the general consensus was that they were all male.
I kept 5 of the "males" and have 2 breeding pairs among them lol.
They are absolute buggers to sex

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I think the first two are most definitely male but the rest, apart from obvious hairs on pec fins, have got pretty smooth looking tails.

Have you tried looking at their vents with a magnifying glass (my eyesights not the best), to look for yellow spotting around the vent? Sure fire way of finding definite females.