Pleco needs to be IDed please, and some advice

stonedboss

Aug 19, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I bought my pleco a little less than a year ago when he was 2-3 inches, he has now grown to be about 7 1/2 inches. He is currently in a 37 gallon tank(31Lx14W), and I want to have him IDed and be given some advice for tank mates. I have been told this room will suffice for another year, but feel free to correct me. If his tank is too small I'm not against giving him away to a better home. I am considering getting a L 135 pleco since they don't grow that big, as well as a cobalt blue lobster. I currently have 5 neon tetras, 4 indian glassy fish, 2 tiger barbs, 2 assassin snails, and 1 pond snail. My tiger barbs are great buddies(always together) and are not aggressive at all; I've never had any trouble with them and my tetras. And yes, my pond snail lives in harmony with the assassins lol. I also realize I may need to give away my tetras if I got the lobster.
TL;DR : 7 1/2 inch pleco, possible tank mates: L 135 pleco and cobalt blue lobster in a 37 gal
Yes, that is a flake on him lol. I just fed my fish :p

Attachments

Last edited:

stonedboss

Aug 19, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Thanks Elko. I thought he might be a gold spotted pleco but was not quite sure if the color was a big difference. The lighting from my camera made him look more "gold" than he does naturally.

Warborg

Oct 17, 2009
Austin,Texas
Thanks Elko. I thought he might be a gold spotted pleco but was not quite sure if the color was a big difference. The lighting from my camera made him look more "gold" than he does naturally.
Gold spotted pleco is one of their nicknames... there has been reports of them reaching up to 16 inches in length, so just be aware of this possibility. I currently have one as well about the same length as yours.

stonedboss

Aug 19, 2011
Sacramento, CA
How fast has yours been growing Warbog? Thanks Irene. How soon is very soon? lol. Sadly I may have to just give him away as I probably will not be able to get a bigger tank for some time

Warborg

Oct 17, 2009
Austin,Texas
He started off slow, being a smaller pleco in the tank but now he's by himself. I'd say he's put 2 inches on this just this year(mines in a 75)