another I.D please!

thermalthong

May 29, 2012
Essex
As above please, i got it yesterday and would like to know what it is, if it has any specific requirements and also how rare it is (not selling, i just like to know!!)

Thanks again

:hi:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
There are a few suspects, Ancistrini L082 is good shout. The head profile looks like Baryancistrus L142 to me.

Can you get more photos, including a photo of it's mouth/teeth?

thermalthong

May 29, 2012
Essex
i can try more pix but he is a bit of a sod to get a pic of! i have noticed above his top lip (snout area) he has 2 barbels that look like fangs (i know they arnt though as they are not in the mouth) if this helps?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
definitely disagree - def not a 201... especially seeing the underbelly of the latest pics.... not sure about 142/lda33 as its not black enough - quite light shade of black...

i have 201's 142's and 082's and to me the closet is the 082... :thumbup:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Thanks for the extra photos. The mouth picture rules out Baryancistrus L142 because they have a different mouth shape and dentition. I'll rule out Ancistrini L082, the body shape is quite right and the eye colour seems different (dark/black iris colour).

I think our contenders are Hypancistrus contradens, Hypancistrus L201 and Scobinancistrus L368

Does anyone know what to look for when differentiating Hypancistrus and juvenile Scobinancistrus?

[edit] I just saw this photo thread with some good pictures of L201. How do they compare?

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16354

Last edited:

thermalthong

May 29, 2012
Essex
no idea what had happend, was fine all the time i had it and when i took the body out there was no marks or signs to suggest a cause of death. stumped and still pissed off.