Please sex these L397

Kangus

May 4, 2009
Gosford, NSW
hi all
i have 3 397s and would really appreciate some opinions on the sex of them. I think they are all males :cry: as they all have the hairy tail, but the body shape threw me a bit - are they just fatboys?
hopefully these pics are good enough

group shots

individuals

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
very difficult. they may be all male, but the females can get hairy and I think its possible one is female, left hand one top pic. they are all nice and well fed, but males are broader shouldered and have rounder faces, females have a more pointed nose. hard to tell in some of the pics as they are not lying flat and have head raised against glass so nose shape is unclear. they may not breed if two males in same tank, so I would try and put the most male male and the poss female together in a tank.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree with Irene, look like 3 male but poss one F cheers jk :thumbup:
If you can, get individual shots, with white paper background. top and side shot cheers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Bummer, sorry you got 3 males Kangus. The nose shapes do look a bit different and even the body shapes but females only get a bit of soft hair on the tails, not actually hard odontodes like the males. If you pick them up you should immediately feel if one is smooth or not.

Kangus

May 4, 2009
Gosford, NSW
Bummer, sorry you got 3 males Kangus. The nose shapes do look a bit different and even the body shapes but females only get a bit of soft hair on the tails, not actually hard odontodes like the males. If you pick them up you should immediately feel if one is smooth or not.
haha no worries Bren, i do love the 397s tho :) its the risk when purchasing fry i spose. I will give them the double check when i catch them again. Thanks!