4 L174 for sexing please

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Got them out the tank and took some pics hopefully you can determine what sexes I have :D

I think there are 2 of each :dk:

Fish 1

Had a second pic of this fish but my title kept getting edited out so it won't show :wb:

Fish 2

Fish 3

Fish 4

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
I would say;
Fish 1 - Hairy male
Quite hairy pectoral fins, and the gill odontodal growth is quite long.

Fish 2 - It looks male body wise (Look at the overhead body shape of Fish No2 to Fish No3 and you'll see what i mean).
A better picture of it's giil odontodal growth would help.

Fish 3 - Female.
It has the body shape of a female and not much odontodal growth.

Fish 4 - Hairy male.
As Fish No 1.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Yes Andrew I know what you mean by the body shape of fish 2 compared to fish 3. I think I remember which fish 2 was so will attempt to get a better pic at some point without disrupting the tank anymore :fr:

They don't seem to scrap at all, if it were actually 3 males and a female would it be a problem?

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
If it is three males and a female, you should be alright.
It's like Gee said in my 174 thread, you get the odd fish that can be a bit psycho, but they are few and far between, thank goodness.
Another side picture of fish 2 will help figure it out :D

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thanks guys, good to see the photos are keeping you guessing :lol:

Having seen the fish in person I believe number 2 to be the same as number 3 although not as fat :D but I will try and get another pic to be sure :yes:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
A little update on this group. Unfortunately I lost fish 3 the definite female a couple of months ago, found her stuck in a piece of bogwood :cry: but as of this morning fish 1 has fish 2 trapped so I guess it was a female after all as she looks like a weeble now :D