48 hour shipping?

Rush2112

Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone had any experience with shipping plecos over a 48 hour period? I have concerns as to whether they would survive that long inside a bag. I know one day delivery is usually fine but I'm worried about two days.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated?

ZapTap

May 4, 2009
Moraga, Ca
I've done 2 days with no apparent problems in the past. They were packed very well with lots of H2O of course. Not sure how good it actually is for the fish though...:cry:

Last edited:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Live fish send next day and are as far as i know bayfish's retail outlet, more than 24hrs would kill all but labyrinth species and those with external gills i would assume.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I was supposed to have some fish delivered on a Friday morning but because the royal mail are a bunch of "way anchors" they didnt deliver it until Monday afternoon. Luckily enough the sender had packed them well and the fish made the trip

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't risk it as said without proper packaging including oxygen and even a heatpack. Even if any fish survive the stress that the fish will be experiencing is going to be very high.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I recently sent some young Geos up north, and although I checked the RM strike details and all looked ok, they did not arrive next day as promised. they were half water half air in each bag , but quite a few fish in each bag, and 12 hour heat pads, but did not arrive.
they turned up the following day -48 hours- and I was worried, but the recipient mailed me to say all were fine and survived ok.

Rush2112

Jun 14, 2009
Thank you Irene0100. Good to hear. I'm going to give it a try and hope for the best. They have to go from the supplier to another location one day then to me the next day.

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
I have shipped BN fry priority mail many times. That is usually 2 days sometimes even 3. Only one time did I have any losses and that was because the bag allegedly leaked. Small fish and fry usually do well for that long. But I do use breather bags, that may make a difference and I only ship during the warm months when no heat pack is needed or with a 72 hour heat pack if absolutely necessary. Today I have an Express mail going from Ga to CA which will be a 2 day Express most likely (USPS website for that option has been down all weekend, so I could not check if it's one or two day Express to that location). But I am pretty sure they will be just fine.