above tank filter

npogson

Jan 2, 2010
Dapto NSW
anyone remember the old style above tank filter using a power head to pump water into a spray bar which then distributed the water over filter media and gravity drained back into the tank..

was thinking about using some PVC guttering and pipping to make my own.. if anyone has tried this I'd love to hear about them.. otherwise I'll post some facts and info when i get some up and running :)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
PVC guttering and pipping to make my own
I've used these a lot and they are very effective. The original ones I made had were level with holes in the bottom, but these always got blocked.

The later design had the guttering on a slight angle, with a series of internal weirs, and the water running out of the far end back into the tank. Mine were planted, plants in rock wool blocks and the guttering half filled with "Alfagrog". I used Hygrophila as my main plant, but you could be more adventurous.

cheers Darrel

Kingtiger

May 4, 2009
Sydney Parramatta
I have one sitting around doing nothing since I got it from Hong Kong. 1200L/H with all the media and suitable for 2-3 foot tank lengthway or can run a longer tank by placing it sideway.

I'm going to post this on the classifies.

Cheers

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I should have said the other advantage with having the water cascade over a weir into the tank, is that you can put a bog-wood tangle underneath the waterfall, creating ideal conditions for the smaller Panaque species etc. as they get a wood tangle environment with rapidly flowing, fully aerated water.

cheers Darrel

npogson

Jan 2, 2010
Dapto NSW
all very helpfull thanks. think i might start my first one with filter wool over bio balls and see how that goes before i start testing much else.. :)