Advice on removing eggs to place in a fry trap

mquinny123

Aug 13, 2009
Sheffield
Morning folks

After having a lovely suprise two weeks back and finding some wrigglers in my L270 setup, i looked in the cave today to find another set of eggs, wanting to have a go at raising the eggs away from dad for 2 reasons:

1: theres two other fat females waiting to be serviced, lol

2: the females which are waiting there turn are hassling him an awful lot and this coupled with a frenzy when feeding, im wanting to prevent the eggs from getting eaten, plus id like to play daddy this time.

I had a go at removing the male from his breeding tube (size 2 from jo), and he isnt having any of it, no gentle persuasion or coaxing has worked, and after 10 minutes i gave up as it was stressing me out let alone the fish.

Any advice on the best way to get him out so i can put the eggs in to a fry trap? should i leave him to it and let the other female groupies wait?

thanks

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
put male, cave and eggs into the trap.
or take females out of the tank so they dont hassle him.

to do on your own is risky, I only do the eggs if I HAVE to.

mquinny123

Aug 13, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks Irene, i might just leave him to it, he managed to raise the last lot so i suppose i should give him some credit, and they all seem healthy.

So healthy infact they escaped from the fry trap last night due to the lid not being secure and are now darting around the tank!