Albino Cory Eggs

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
I'm currently babysitting (eggsitting) some eggs from my brother's albino corys.
Do fertile albino eggs change colour as much as others? In theory, I would expect them to be much lighter than other cory eggs because they have no colour.
Can anyone tell me if they have had albino cory eggs before and do they change to the tan colour that others do?

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
My Albino and Bronze Corys have been laying eggs for the past 2 months and I have managed with some success to hatch them. Its always a little bit of a lottery as to which eggs are which until they hatch for me, however i can say that all the eggs start off white and then go clear after 12-24 hrs, the ones that dont "die" from there go clear and then you can see them over the next 3-4 days until hatching develop a white part in the egg. I think the hatching has varied in my tank from 4-7 days but its not always easy to see the fry once hatched. When i get my next spawn i plan to take daily pictures to chart the progress. Hope this helps?

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
It kinda helps.. I'll just count the days. I guess if nothing happens within 12 days from when they were laid, I'll assume they're infertile. Lol

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow good luck with them. let others know later of what you observed with the egg colour change. cheers jk :thumbup:

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
Last night i returned home from work to find that my Corys had again spawned. I estimate over 100 eggs, around 50 were still intact and have been put into one of the many breeding nets i have on the go at the moment. I suspect that they were laid by my Bronzes but until they hatch i cannot really confirm that. They were all slightly white in appearance but checking on them this morning some had a white centre visable and some didnt. I'll be opening up a Cory superstore at this rate. Would like to try and get hold of some more Corydoras Julii's to make a breeding group, i think my 3 are all male. Would also like to get a group of Panda Corydoras and attempt to breed some other types. They key appears to be lots of live food, daphnia & bloodworm.

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
Another 30 or so eggs survived in the comunity tank long enough for me to collect when i got home from work yesterday..................what will this evening bring?

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
I'm still unsure if the eggs are fertile yet. I've pulled out a couple that have grown fungus so I assume they were infertile. Only time will tell o s'pose

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
When they start growing fungus then certainly they will not hatch, some of my eggs are fine and the ones right next to them get fungus grow on them. I assume its because they are infertile but i would check that is some flow accross the eggs just to stop the surrounding water becoming too static.

I had another 20 or so eggs last night when i got home. What has so far happend i get about 3-5 days of heavy spawning then around 7-10 days of normal feeding etc then it all kicks off again. Its all very interesting stuff, just wish i was at home more to observe.