amano,s going nuts!

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,just been looking at the big tank and all 5 amanos are going nuts :lol:
there darting all over the tank,just like there playing tag :)
is this normal ?
only 1 now is carrying eggs,thats not stopping her darting all over the place.
they realy do shift when they wont to.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Darting all over is the males going nuts because the female releases a scent when she is ready to mate. They will go after anything even the fish when they are in that mood.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Great, my boy will love that. Last time the shrimp shed it's shell he said there was a ghost in the tank..so there might be 5 off them lol.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
definitely not trying to moult the female will moult and release pheromones when ready to mate the males are just going crazy because of that see it all the time in my tanks. Had Amanos for about 3 years so predictable.

When they moult it will be over in seconds you are very unlikely to see it happen. I have seen shrimp moult now and then a quick flick and occasionally lie on there side for a few seconds but doesn't take long.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Great, my boy will love that. Last time the shrimp shed it's shell he said there was a ghost in the tank..so there might be 5 off them lol.
If your laddie likes shrimp moults then maybe he would like something like this, a moult from one of my atya gabonensis aka african fan shrimp. Did think my shrimp was dead first time I saw one. Never actually seen it moult but would be good to see.

Attachments

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
just finished a water change and found 1 big amano shrimp dead :cry:
would 1 dead shrimp give an ammonia spike in a 75L tank?
i might do a second water change before i go to work.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I would be wondering why it was dead. Amano shrimp are very hardy and should live a few years. Ammonia would depend on how long it has been dead for. I would do a water change to be on the safe side though.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I would be wondering why it was dead. Amano shrimp are very hardy and should live a few years. Ammonia would depend on how long it has been dead for. I would do a water change to be on the safe side though.
hi Doodles,long time no see..:whistle:
the shrimp was the biggest one,just under 2".might of been old age :dk:
did a water test after removing him/her,all ok.i did do a water change before i went to work,and have been keeping an eye on the tank.
the rest of the shrimps have started going nuts again.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Yeah.. I would say it was the oldest dominant female and now she has expired(old age no doubt), the males will be running around because the next in line for the top job (amongst the females) has taken on the job and she is ready to mate :clap: