Amanos prey on other shrimp

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just to warn anyone thinking of mixing amanos with anything.

I already know they eat fry as caught them catching and eating molly babies, seen them catching and eating live bloodworm but never saw them eating shrimp.

Strangely a crystal shrimp went missing and my cherry shrimp haven't been getting out of control then today I saw an amano eating a cherry shrimp which I know wasn't already dead.

Have seen an amano attacking a crystal recently which might explain its disappearance , luckily I only had one in there. In my other tank a while back some shrimp would just disappear so I presumed they had died . Least I definitely know amanos are preying on other shrimp, eventually seen it. Stupidly other cherry shrimp were trying to fight the amano for some.

I've had to put slightly poorly fish in a box for their own protection because as soon as amano shrimp see a weak fish they jump on it and grab it. If they can't fight them off they are dinner.

I am going to have to have crystals in a separate tank and cherry shrimp are carrying eggs in my big tank. Have to keep an eye on them. Have added some more catappa leaves to keep them busy. They obviously like shrimp better than algae.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Not really much I can do to stop them as shut my smallest tank down so no more shrimp tanks. Is a few cherry shrimp still kicking around but can't keep the amanos fed too much to stop them being cannibals as the danios will scoff everything, don't want them getting sick. A few cherry shrimp in the big planted tank that have learned to avoid being dinner carrying eggs, don't really want them breeding in there.