Ancistrus?

Lorifan

Jun 7, 2011
Nouméa
Hi guys!

I've found this little pleco at my fish supplier, I took a picture of the bigger one, they are sold a BN but here in NwCal fishkeeping is not really serious:dk: so i'm not confident with that!

Can you ID this specie? thank you!!

IMGP1175.jpg

IMGP1179.jpg

Lorifan

Jun 7, 2011
Nouméa
@Lornek8 the spots of this fish are white not oranges hope that helps!
@bigbird, do you think that kind of pleco is rare? and on the photo the fish is approximately 5cm length

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Salut encore,

Please be aware, that quite a few Ls change their colour and dots when juvenile to adults. Ancistrus are also very hard sometimes to ID, as some interbreeding occurs. Rare is really what you think or what you can get in your country.
Maybe ask the fish store if you can take photos from top and side, so ask them if you can place it i a small dish, so we can get a better photo. Ls also change colour when stressed and at 5cm are also still sometime very small to ID. try for more photos. Yet again if you like it, then buy it ? Also be aware that they are herbivores so not much protein. merci jan:thumbup:

Lorifan

Jun 7, 2011
Nouméa
@ Lornek8, your link looks like those ones really bad!
@bigbird, Id like to buy them but they are dead expansive! and at least id like to know how to sex them, they are all all-alikes! :dk:

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
There are two ways of thinking this.
1. Some people buy 6 or 8 of each very small and hope for a pair, this tends to become cheaper, but needs more time
or
2. Some people pay very good money for a pair. Large cost but less waiting, this however still does not mean they will lay eggs.

So it really depends on a lot of issues. your orange spot BN is expensive. If you only have one in NewCal, what is the point of buying if at the end you do not know if the fish store will have more.

May i also ask you, is the pleco market in Noumea large ? do you have a lot of different types or breeders where you can maybe uy from or is the market very limited ?

How much do they want for this one ? Again at 5cm hard to sex.
Please advise merci jan :thumbup:

Lorifan

Jun 7, 2011
Nouméa
No, in Nouméa we are 25000 people and a very few are aquarists, and among the serious aquarists, there is only discus breeders, i think that i am the only one who cares about plecos,
The offer is also very limited, common hypostomus and BN that's it that's all, but from times to times it is possible to discover " a mistake within the order" and you have an interesting fish!
I asked about doing special order to me, the fishfarms in Singapore don't have too many Lnumbers in their stock listsand either way, they are too expansives, for example they ask for 46.60$ each BN
A peckoltia pulcher is 121$ when arrived in NC!!

I hope I answerred all your questions guys!

cheers!

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ok thanks for that.
The reason I ask is, that if you wish to spend so much money and want to sell, can you recover your costs maybe by selling to others in NC. In Australia they are also very expensive. Can you get more photos of the fish for us ? Or did you buy it ? cheers jk:thumbup: