Anyone use a sump?

Raul-7

Oct 21, 2011
CA
I tested out a sump for my last planted tank [80G] and I'll never go back to canisters for either breeding tanks or large displays. Makes life so much easier.

a) better gas exchange via agitation [water falling down into sump] and surface skimming
b) all equipment is out of tank and easy to access
c) filter socks trump sponges, you can use 200, 100, 50, 25 micron socks to get the water as clear as you want it.
d) all evaporation happens in the sump
e) increases total water volume

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I have multiple sump setup with 5 to 6 tanks per sump. Since all my sumps are covered, evaporation is the same as a covered tank. I setup everything with automation, even the sumps are elevated so they can drain as well. Due to the unique design of the setup, I cannot use filter sock in the sump and I find it painful to deal with fry that made it there, they are almost impossible to catch, so I don't even bother catching them anymore.

Here a picture of the back of a bank that has the sump setup. The sumps are setup at the far end of the picture, so some of the tanks are at least 14ft away from where their sumps are located.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I have in my 6fter office tank a sump. It does make it easier for cleaning and has much greater water/oxy flow and is easier to monitor. However make sure not to over fill the sump, as if you have a power outage, the return water will flood the sump and water will come over the sides and flood the room. cheers jk :thumbup:

Raul-7

Oct 21, 2011
CA
Yes, it definitely helps to have a large sump and also a UV sterilizer on the return to prevent outbreaks.

Last edited: