Apple Snail Eggs

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
Had a pair of Golden / Yellow Apple snails for a mounth or two now and are quite fun to watch in our Community tank.

Well today lifed the lid to check on one of the internal filters and there was a bunch of eggs above the water line !!

Guessed there were the apple snails eggs, and a quick look up on tinternet and yes there are eggs !!!! :yes:

Has anyone here reared them ? Any advice ? How often do they lay ?

Does this mean i will have babies often?

Things like this i tend to let nature take its course, unless i need to do somthing special.

Pic is from internet but spit image of the eggs.

Attachments

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Yes they are Apple snail/Mystery snail eggs,
I have had success by pushing the whole cluster in the tank & have had success leaving them where they are laid..some hatch and some don't..
They should hatch in a month or so...& I think they can lay monthy, I have a succession of eggs every other month...Depends on the snail I guess too..
Just leave them there if you want them to hatch ..if you don't want them to, just pick the cluster off & toss em in da bin...
I had one lone mystery Snail..yes no others in the tank & I got this(photo below) and about 20 other goldens from one cluster.
I'm guessing they are hermaphrodites..

Last edited:

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
Apple snails are either male or female. You need one of each. But the females can keep sperm for a long time, so a lone female that mated at the LFS can produce several clusters later on.
In order for the young to hatch they have to stay above the water line. I would leave them where they are right now as the female usually picks a good spot. Sometimes, however, the cluster dries out and the little snails won't hatch. I often carefully remove the cluster (wait 1 to 2 days for the cluster to harden and then slide it sideways and it comes off easy) and put it on a plant float. If the cluster ends up in the tank the baby snails will drown and the calcium will be reabsorbed by the adult snails. So that is preferable to tossing the cluster away outside the tank if you do not want any babies to hatch.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I have to disagree with your comment "You need one of each" Cos I had mine since it was a tiny baby snail, for well over a year, It grew into a lovely Gold Mystery Snail, & while still a lone snail, Had a batch of eggs, which gave me that lovely blue snail pictured...
This would mean they can hold sperm for a very long time. Surely they don't save it as youngens also...

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
if you read the web site all about apple snails, it says ther are either male or female and shows you how to sex them.
they eggs take some weeks to hatch and are sometimes infertile. mine will lay quite often, maybe every few days for a month then rest then do it again. they only live to about a year old then just die.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
OK well I've found out some info, My snail is not an Apple Snail, it's a Gold Mystery Snail, I thought they were one & the same,
But they are not ..
Apple Snails: Ampullaria gigas looks just like a mystery snail but grows much larger – as big as a standard baseball.
Apple snails come in fewer colors than the mystery snails,
Apple snails are unbelievably prodigious plant eaters.

exert taken from URL pagehttp://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Snails,%20Mystery.htm
My snail does not eat my plants..Neither did it's mother/father.
My eggs are light pink, not dark Redish..
So I guess I have a blue mystery snail..Kool Bananas :eek:)
Ya learn something everyday, don't ya!!
Thanks for this post..I know what type of snail I have now...:eek:)

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
i had some in my big tank,only had 1 apple snail in there but it did come from a tank that had loads off them.the snail died then the bunch of eggs just dryed up and fell off the hood 2 or 3 weeks later..

now seam to have loads of MTS in the tank,do they lay eggs??

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
I think mine are mystery snals as they dont touch the plants and the eggs are light salmon pink to cream.

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
Bingo !!!! Thas them, more balled not as enlongated cluster.

Last lot broke up looked like they hatched but havent seen them in tank yet ! But do have another lot from Friday night on tank.

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
Apple snails are either cana or brigs. Brigs do not eat plants, cana do and get much larger. Brigs are normally also called mystery snails and they can be "impregnated" when they are only 1/2 inch in diameter. They are rarely sold in stores at a smaller size then that so if you got your snail from a store it is entirely possible it was carrying sperm already.
MTSs do not mate and they do not lay eggs. They clone themselves. One snail can singly reproduce by making a copy of itself if conditions are right.
I have never heard of an apple snail taking a year to grow up. I have hatched them for years and they grow up within 4 to 5 months and reproduce within that time if conditions are right. They have a live expectancy of 1 to 4 years. The warmer the water, the shorter the life span. Mine usually only live 18 months since I live in GA and the tanks get hot. They originate from Florida so they grow up in much less time then one year.

Last edited:

snails

Aug 18, 2012
America
May not be apple snails

Looking at the picture you posted, the two snails you have may be mystery snails. Apple snail eggs are usually a more red/pink color. No, mystery snails and apple snails are not the same type of snail.