Are there any genetically altered aquarium fish besides glofish?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Do you mean genetically altered by active artificial genetic modification or passive selective breeding?

IMO the 2 are fairly similar its just how they go about it. The latter will include many of the accepted fish available to us. Goldfish, Discus, Angelfish, Ancistrus varieties. The former includes these 'Fluorescent' fish and 'Glofish' where a new gene has been added.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i dont agree with the injected fish to make them a certain pattern or a certain colour. passive selective breeding is aceptable imo

anonymous314

Aug 10, 2010
Mobile, Alabama; USA
i dont agree with the injected fish to make them a certain pattern or a certain colour. passive selective breeding is aceptable imo
Don't even get me started on injected fish, that is probably one of the worst "cosmetic improvements" that people have come up with for animals, aside from perhaps tail docking on horses.
On the other hand genetically engineered fish are hatched with thier colors and would only be inconvenienced by them if they were trying to hide from predators.

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
hell yeah like the blood paret fish they are a cross mix same as flowerhorns they are a mix of trimaxulada and mides cichlid and red devil . lots of fish can be modified geneticly like breed a male guppy with a molly the fry will be sterile but can be dome the op peacocks are all crosses guppies and endlers can be breed with each other the fry become f1 hyprids the marine clown fish can all cross breed with each other