Are these L129?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
With the normal disclaimer that I am very poor at this, I think the snout looks too long for H. deblittera (L129) or L340. They look more like H. furunculus L199, with those big eyes, set well back on the head.

Have a look here:"Identification of Hypancistrus" Written by Jon Tarn(cup) and Yann Fulliquet - <http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=571>.

cheers Darrel

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
Thank you both! I thought they weren't L129's but that is what the shop ordered them in as.

L340 seems to be a very similar Plec in terms of requirments and size so I may still go for them.

What would be a good price for these L340's at around 2"? and out of interest would they be the same price if they were L129's?

Thanks,
Sam

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
If Jacqueline is sure they are L340, that is good enough for me.

I'd be happy with L340, they normally sell for a little bit more than L129, and are otherwise very similar in size, behaviour etc. There is some suggestion that L129/L340 may be colour forms of the same species.

The orange coloured fish are usually labelled as L340 (have a look in the Back to Nature guide to L numbers.) if you have a copy.

cheers Darrel

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Last edited:

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
Thanks everyone.

Jo, I've already been on and checked your stock. I believe it was the first place I checked. What confused me was these show quite different marking to the one shown on the L340 page of your website. What size are the one's you have for sale?

Sam

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
Thanks everyone.

I got to see these in the flesh this weekend and they are a lot more yellow than the pics above make them look. I came home with three and got these quick snaps whilst they were acclimatising. I didn't want to stress them out as they'd been in the bag for 3 hours and so I wanted to get them in the tank as soon as possible.

I know the pics are terrible but do they affirm the i.d of L340 or cast doubt?

I will get better pics once they have settled in.

Sam

basicsimple

Feb 22, 2012
Malaysia
Hi everyone,

I am new to plecos and I browse thru pleco planet article about l129. I feel very confused for pleco ID. Why the above is 340? How to differentiate and what is the differences with l270? For a newbie like me, it feels like l270...and I am confused now....my house got 5pcs of l129 and I feel they are different than above photo.

Regards,
John

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i am sorry, but they need to be in focus. The best is shots from above and the side. Hypans at best are hard to tell apart, so if possible better shots. Sorry cheers jk :thumbup:

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Pictures are bad indeed....

But if looking at distance from eyes to snout I would say L340 again. But a better picture will be better.

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
I agree, the pictures were terrible. It was the best I could do with what I had. I did a big clean today and when all the ornaments were out I tried to grab some better pics with my camera rather than my phone.

Here they are;

From above:

Hopefully at least one of them is good enough!

All of them seem to have the start of odontodes on their pectorals, does this mean they are all male!?

Sam

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Yes, for sure now. They are L340 :)

When not in breeding condition it can be quite hard to identify the females from the batch. Just wait until they get gravid, then it's obvious :yes:

Nice fish, good luck!!

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
For me, long headshape and (lines round the) eyes stand out. Typical for L340.
If you want a more scientific explanation, you can tell by the number of teeth what they are.
L129 has a less pronounced "E" on it's snout. Also coloration is nicer on L340, L129 get very dull when older, they lose their stripes and color a lot.