aus pepps id for sex please

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
hi guy as you all know i got 6 of these and moved them to there own tank a week or two ago since then i have seen what could of been breeding behavior but yeap no luck with eggs or fry didnt even see fanning !

so got me thinking prohaps there all females!:dk:
so yeap did the big "take everything out to catch fish to check :wb::wb::wb:"
anyways these are the pic's
yes i know there sh+t but if you guys could give it a shot

i have indervidial shot but they turned out bad i will sort through them to find the six best ones one of each fish if you all think i should ?

um i was thinking 2 100% females
2 100%males
2 100% :-/ Hermaphrodites

all info regarding tank filtration will be posted if info is need aswell

thank you for having a go :thumbup:

Last edited:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
these 3 pics i would say are the best i got im trying to finf males out of them looking at pics it hard to tell ?in order of fish and what i think !

male ?

female?

these are the next four

close ups

if you want the next 4 broken up please let me know !
once again thank you
please tell me if you see atleast 1 male in the group for 2 were for sure females might be hard to see but theu were graved !

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
How big are they?
I see one that ma be a male the others are questionable.
They're sexed the same way as other Ancistrus. Males get bristles up the face & possibly branched. Females cane get some but ony along the lip.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
there is a ruler in there its in cm's i hope that could help
im thinking smalest 8 biggest 9 ish ?
there all about 2.5 years old i would of thought at this age would have bristles for sure up there face ?

Last edited:

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
I'm thinking still too young to accurately sex. That's not to say that you can't try to.
Usually over 9cm is a good size to sex them
As Lorne said, are there any with bristles up the face?

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
okay il wait but i beleive that il be waiting for nothing ? i could be wrong but males tend to reveal themselves at 7cm's +

with the size going off the ruler as scale i would say
1- 8.8
4- 9.2
1 9.5
and 2 of them with a full stomic which i would say are them being graved :dk:
im sure a male would of been obvious ?

but il wait another 6 months i guess :cry:
lol i hate taking fish out of the tank :wb:

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
I have 5cm fry I can sex as male but the problem with ones that look female they can develop bristles later. By 9cm it should be obvious. You need to look very closely to tell. I can see one female

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hi, you have put the thumbnails in thethread not full pics that are in your gallery
eg

but I cant see any mature male bristles... so dont think they will breed yet, but I am not a pepp expert.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
thank you Irene0100

i was just wondering these guys were purchased from the same batch so they are all the same age would you say that if males were presant that they would be bigger in size?

as for in the photo Irene posted correctly for me there is 1 of the graved females if you checkthe top one on the right !

if im right then it is 100% female

so if they are all the same size and age they all should be female right:dk:

is that a bad analogy if so what could be some reasons why a male hasn't developed bristles or grown bigger in size?

guys i know its not been 3-6 months but hey ithibk its a good question to ask !

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi, I bought a 'pair' of pepps of some type, I now think ewas L71
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1249

they were bigger than yours and the male had very good bristles and the female had none, both were about the same size.
After 6 months the 'female' grew bristles (so he was really just a subordinate male) then he challenged the aphpa to a duel and killed him.
So now I have a lone male (that looked female) left who is a super fish, but these fish are not common in UK so I cant find a mate for him!
So if they have been kept with a more dominant male in the tank they may not have grown bristles yet.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
sorry to hear that and yes your right they are submisive if there is a dominate male presant though in this (my) situation

no dominate male presant
there all of the same age
1 for sure maybe 2 are graved
they were the last of a batch (maybe all runts?) but i would think that they could all been sold last for they were smallest in group(tend to be female)

"with me asking these questions its not just the fact im trying to see what i have only but more of a all round question as well (do males grow faster than females?)"