AUSTRALIAN WARNING

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Ladies and Gents, some of you out there might think I am overreacting, however I have been on the crap end of this (twice) and thought it worth a little reminder/education. Noting the relative limited numbers and higher prices of some fish here in Australia it is mainly directed to my fellow Aussies.

In your time keeping fish you will come across all sorts of folks from those who will tell you anything to make a quick buck all the way through to those that you would bend over backwards to help out. I don't put this on here to scare folks away from enjoying their hobby but mainly to remind the old and bolds and to educate newbies.

I often check out the Facebook page and see folks posting pics of what fish they have just purchased and they are proud of it (and rightly so). I have been surprised with the number of people whose full profile I can then view and pics everywhere of L's and what area they live in.

Do I have a point you may be asking by now, well I do. I have had the unfortunate experience of break in attempts on my fish room (twice at the old location), this occurred back when I viewed the world through rose coloured glasses and though the world was full of folks like me who worked hard for what they have and loved their fish. I was wrong. Luckily for me on both occasions my mates large and very vocal "puppy" deterred them. They did not get anything valuable but the did damage the room and some equipment trying to gain access.

Recently on another forum I am a member of a gent had his frontosa stolen after most likely being surveiled in a purchase viewing. I no longer let folks come to my house, I will meet them with a bucket full of fish and let them choose what they want.

A few years ago a well known Hypan breeder in the south of the country was done over for L46 and L201's if I recall correctly.

In a nutshell please keep on keeping and breeding your fish, just don't make yourself an easy target for the low life scum who invade our hobby from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnbetta397

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
If I didn't have the security I wouldn't advertise my plecos.

The world is full of thieves but its not like theres a neon sign saying come and get free fish or anything, nor should there be.

Thieves will never prosper and I feel sorry for those people and their families who will be in a lifelong struggle because they want the easy way out.

A policeman in the drug squad once told me there is one thing which will permeate a druggies brain in a primeval way and that's a dog. They will even front an armed cop but they don't like a dog.

Said dog or dogs just need a big enough appetite to get rid of all the evidence.:lol:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
That's what pigs are for Brenda haha.
In all seriousness though if anyone actually got out of my place alive which I doubt I would be able to ID them straight away.
It is a good idea to sell your fish away from where you keep most of them if possible like I do
Good of you to post that Yalo5t. I think people forget how much info someone with bad intentions can gather from social media and being a guest in your house

Fried

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
That's why I have my dog Fry. He is a great guard dog.

He gets a bit jealous when I talk to our fish, he is fascinated by them just like me.

And thanks for the reminder Yalo5t not that I have any expensive fish yet.

Last edited:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Is there any truth to this talk that Quarantine people are coming to fish keepers houses and putting bleach in their tanks?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Yes, if you are keeping illegally imported fish or in particular plants or shrimp they may destroy said offending pieces and bleach to sterilise the tanks.
I have also heard they can search without a warrant and come armed like a swat team.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Wow they would want to! So as long as you don't illegally import stuff or post your full address saying you own a heap of shrimp you'd be safe?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I had a friend who bought one of those Japanese moss balls off gumtree.
Unfortunately the seller turned out to be illegally importing them and reselling.
My friends details were tracked back by the payment for the ball.
AQIS contacted her and were quite nasty about it, threatening to come and bleach all her tanks.
I don't think it went that far and I never heard how she resolved it but a scary thought to lose her L's because of a stupid bit of green moss.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah definitely! I like those marimo balls but definitely not worth it.
At least it was real and not dyed hair like some of them haha.
They would need a swat team to take my fish.
I know we need to protect our environment but this seems over the top
I can't see a zebra pleco surviving in a freezing river

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
See the cat in the vid after the dog barked?
Lovely and quiet last night, undercoating a wall at near midnight.
Dog walks to back door and wowowowwowowowow!
Jeez I nearly bumped my head on the ceiling too!
It was someone walking home on the footpath lol.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
black and tan security here... and i only lock the front door to protect people from security!!! not a good thing when ya dogs eat people even when they are trespassing... the only bone in a humans body a rotweiler cannot crush is an adult skull :)

Fried

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
I used to have a Rotty Cross American Staffy, he looked after the house when I did shift work. Bigger than an American Staffy with a Rotty head and big rotty teeth. Rotties are great dogs.

zui

Aug 15, 2012
Homebush
You have the security to "take care of" the problem. Then feed the rest to the pigs. They eat everything! :clap:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
grandfather used to breed/sell pigs... mainly landrace variety - big ones... and i well know when next door had a dead sheep they'd drop it over and we would put it in one of the pig pens and in the morning everything is gone... teeth bone wool everything!!! and we live in the hills along darling enscarpment and its riddled with wild pigs - mainly in the quieter areas around the dams and deep into state forest and you never come across anything dead... they are the cleaning crew...