Baby identification

Mr Ofdensen

Aug 3, 2015
Idaho
Hi all I just signed up here today cause I'm looking for some help. My leopard sailfin pleco and my long fin bushy nose pleco had baby's this weekend. Didn't even know till I saw one on the front glass of my tank. I got a decent picture of one of the little guys and was hoping someone would know if it's a mix of the two or more likely to be like mom or dad when it gets bigger. I know it might be to early to tell but wanted to see what you guys thought. image.jpg

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
My leopard sailfin pleco and my long fin bushy nose pleco had baby's this weekend
Have you got photos of the parents, or of all the plecs in the tank? It definitely looks like a Loricariid fry, but I'm not sure that the 2 parents are possible.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Well i know for a fact there are no other plecos in there. So a miracle it is then. Haha.
Have you added any wooden caves, or complicated bit of wood, to the tank recently that might have harboured some fry or eggs?

All Plec fry tend to look similar, but your one looks like it might be <"Panaque maccus">.

I assume it is this tank? (nice set up by the way).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Mr Ofdensen

Aug 3, 2015
Idaho
Yep that's my tank. No new wood. Everything in that tank has been in there for about 3 months and the wood was soaked for about a month and a half before it went to the tank. The cave where the baby's were is under the wood in the middle of the tank towards the back (you can kind of see it in the pic). That's where the long fin was guarding the nest. Thanks for liking my tank!

Last edited: