back to square one

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Buy new gravel, get rid of the old one. I would not use bleach as i never have used this before. How about just boiling the stuff ? Cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, yeah I plan to get new gravel, nothing in the tank now will go in the tank after I sterilize it, except the slate and rocks. I will boil them. The scape you see in the photo I posted was just temp for the platy, I had not set it up for the fish and L's I really want. So all new stuff will also be boiled-wood too. I will prob get some better looking silk plants, just a few, as I have a great green thumb for outdoor plants but aquatic plants , even the easy ones , no luck. Spent alot of money on them in the old days.

ok ,no bleach, got it, so boiling is one good way to sterilize, but how do I sterilize the tank itself ? fliters ? I was hoping to use the same HOB's- marinelands. Toss out the biomatrix and clean the filters how ?

I am trying to keep the costs down as I work at a school ,2 weeks left , and I do not get paid for summers out of work. Would prefer to use same filters.

many thanks

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Bleach is mainly chlorine. Just rinse well and use a declorinator.

If you're still worried you could use something like hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. Just spray it on and wipe it off then rinse.

Lack of success with water plants is often related to insufficient lighting. Though it appears bright, the typical standard strip-light or hood is usually insufficent to grow most plants, especailly with taller tanks.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Lorne, well got enough chlorine in my water so should take care of it and bleach is a no go. BTW, I have not noticed amonia in our tap water lately :woohoo:

as for live plants, I see about the lighting you mentioned. So i wave my white flag ,the 30g is a marineland kit with a gumpy little LED inset , surely not enough light to make plants happy.

planning to finish the treatment for ich in the 30g and will have to give the fish to the store and begin sterilizing and cycling. Seems like I am on my way now thanks to all you guys . Appreciate the advice as I would not have thought to strip the tank down. I would have just kept trying to figure it out and made myself crazy.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
thanks Lorne, well got enough chlorine in my water so should take care of it and bleach is a no go.
Are you saying you think the tap water would be sufficient to sterilize or are you going to use a different method? I wouldn't count on the chlorine in the tap to kill off everything. I've used bleach to clean plastic plants before, just used plenty of water conditioner to be sure. I think bleach is also used to regenerate seachem purigen. But then I guess you need to feel comfortable with your methods. I would only not use bleach on anything porous or something like wood.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne, yeah I had thought my tap water would be good enough, but you are saying it would not be. I am ok with using bleach but did not know how much to use and was it ok to use to sterilize the tank itself . So I will use bleach on that and the filters as well. The wood, rocks and slate will be boiled.

One thing I am not sure about is the heater, as I am trying to keep costs down, it is a Rena, black plastic covered and not sure how to clean that. Dunk it in bleach then dunk it in clean declorinated water a bunch of times ?

I am still medicating the 30g and lost another platy yesterday. Not sure the med I am using is working ...no signs of ich on that one , but the origional one showing it dont look good. Looks like it has ich on both eyes ,and the gills . I am using microbe-lift -3 days left and will be surprised if any fish make it, although only the one is showing signs . Seems by now it should be clearing up. Well since I will be dismantling this tank soon, I gotta try and give them a chance at life, but nature will tell.

so need to know about the heater and the % of bleach/water when I do this.

many thanks

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok. so I have not yet dismanteled the 30g as there are still a few fish left. I can't kill them, and I can't bring them to the store knowing they are in a'' sick'' tank, that would be irresponsible. Soooo I am playing the waiting game. There are 3 platy and 1 celebe left. I will prob just move them to an unused 5g tank , move a filter and heater and let nature take it's course. Then I can begin the process of sterilizing and cycling the 30g again.

This morning I noticed a platy at the top , by the filter, same behavior before death as before, so I imagine he's got about 3 days left.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I use Carob-Sea for African Chiclids in ALL my tanks for a few years now, to keep the ph from dropping . I rinse it in hot water , dry it and drop it in when I notice the ph starting to drop. Using this rather than crushed coral is more steady and I only have to use it once a month or less, whereas the crushed coral was needed every 2 weeks.

I use it in all my tanks,( lousy water), just wondered if this could be the cause ? I did not think so as the other 2 tanks are ok. Any insight to why 1 fish dies every 2 weeks would be highly appreciated. Thanks

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Georgie,
I know you said you boiled the slate, I have a few questions, please don't think I am being rude I just want clarify a few things.

Is it 100% slate, no chance of it being shale?

Also where did you source it from? Some slate can contain heavy metals particularly in the northern parts of the US and some parts of Europe, it seems to be a side effect of snow melt run off and causes iron toxicity. Though it generally only raises its head with low pH. This usually happens when slate is collected from around old mining sites. The other part to consider is iron sulphide (fools gold) it does occur in slate too at times.

I'll have a think on some other things too, and await your response to my points above.

I hope things settle in your tank soon.

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi YA, I believe I had one piece of shale in there at one time. I noticed when I removed it to do a vacuum ,porbably last year, it was soft and I could scrape some off with my fingernail. Was not sure what it was at the time,but later discovered it was shale. Not sure where I got that piece, but I most likely got it at an aquarium store. That is where I get anything that goes in my tanks. That piece turned almost black after being in the tank for some time, but I tossed it since. The other slate I have is blueish/grey and also purchased at aq only store. I always do the vinegar test before boiling rocks or slate. So yeah, i did have what i believe to be shale in there at one time ( unknowingly). Is this question about the mystery illness or the ph ? Thanks for the interest..you obviously know about American rock formations !

ps the 54g with 2 L128's also have slate ,it is where they hide. See tank photo on ''tank photo site'' here -last page i think. No prob in that tank tank goodness.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Just trying to go over a few things that could be causing the illness. Where I grew up people often put shale into tanks thinking it was slate, being a coal mining town and also the fact that there was fossils in their "slate" didn't seem to click for them. Where I live now we have the same problem with folks using very porous rocks like sandstone from their gardens, they can be like a sponge for toxins and chemicals.

If its the same slate that is in your other tank with no issues it should be fine. I hate to say it but the sterilisation route may have to be the one you take.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks YA, I will sterilize the 30g and toss out everything except the filters, they will get sterilized too. Anything else going in will be boiled and new,including the gravel.

Should I be boiling the Carob-Sea or just rinse it ? I don't want to take any more chances.

Sounds like you are saying the shale could have caused this mysterious illness, something that basically was in it's ''makeup'' ??

Sorry for all the questions , just wanna cover all my bases when I re-set up the 30g.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Hydrocarbons can be released by some shale (it's a petroleum product that comes out). Have you noticed an oily (even very fine) sheen on the surface. This could be more than enough to wipe out fish, and being oily it will cling to decor, the sides of the tank etc so even water changes will not dispose of it all.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
If it is financially viable, I would look at new substrate (basic gravel would do) with some live hardy plants would be my own personal way ahead. I'm not sure what the gravel suppliers around your area are like but here I can buy a 40-65lb of "washed" river gravel for about $20. It's washed enough for some uses but not aquariums. I rinse the crap out of it, clean out all the little bits of sticks and brush that seem to be in it and use it in all my non African tanks. If you google coffs harbour gold and denman gravel they are two that are available here in Australia. I'm sure there is a cheap alternative to what you are using over there.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi YA, the gravel here is not too bad price-wise. I will find new gravel and will need a new heater and thermometer as well. I can handle this .

As for the slime/oil slick you mentioned, no , nothing ,not slime on surface,none on rocks and the glass rarely needs to be cleaned (even without snails in there ) which I find strange because the 54g was gathering quite a bit of alage until i got the farlowella, and she keeps everything clean (and gets a bit of zucchini once a week). Thinking about no buildup on anything in the 30g is strange indeed.

thanks,

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
You should be okay with the old heater and thermometer, unless you want to change them. Any hardware I have that has been in a tank with issues goes into a super strong dose of net-san, which is basically a bleach bath. All my nets go in this in the fish room too. I keep a large bucket up it made up for my nets, they get the treatment, then into another bucket of clean primed water before going into any tank to prevent cross contamination.

For the cause of your problems, I'm sorry to say I am a little stumped for an exact cause.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hi YA, thanks for the info . The heater is a Rena with a black casing completely around it , with slots, not to mention it is a bit older . I am not sure a bleach dip and full rinse would be safe so will get a new one. Yes , i have 3 nets, 1 for each tank and a few spare new ones in my fish box.

strange this mystery... thanks for all you insight and everyone else's too.

will update when time to re-start the tank. ATM 4 fish are still living in there.