barbatus laid eggs at last

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I had given up that they would ever breed, then out of the blue, no special w/c or anything, they have suddenly started laying eggs all over the glass.
there is not much info on them and what i read said the eggs are much the same as other cories, but they are definitely a bit larger than my panda cory eggs.
no idea if fertile of if they will get eaten by the adults.
I have 3 males and 2 females in a small tank at room temp.
so I have been cleaning out my QT tank and lowering the temp in there to use as poss fry tank - have to be optimistic -lol.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Congratulations :clap::clap:

Fingers crossed for a fertile spawn. I would be temped to remove the eggs to prevent predation.

Cheers
Gem

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow congrats on that. I would also remove the eggs and place in a tumbler or Q tank. wow cant wait for photos and updates if it goes well. fingers crossed. cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thanks.
I have taken 6 eggs out but left the rest . if they get eaten in the night then i will take all next time! will let you know status tomorrow!

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well they ate the rest of the eggs overnight, and the few I had in the fry saver were there for a few days then disappeared, I assumed hatched, but no sign of any young. I kept feeding for some days, just in case they were just so small and well hidden, but no- nothing there.
So I think first spawns are often infertile, so I will await the next spawning!