Betta Splendens- Red Dragon HMPK x Red Dragon HMPK

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
Hi Everyone, this is a spawn from last year.

I got the pair from my lfs who have recently started to get nice fish from Thailand. They are both Red Dragon Halfmoon Plakats (HMPK) which are short finned fish who's caudal fin has a spread of 180 degrees. Dragon refers to the thick white scales found all over the body of the fish.

Male:

Female:

15/11/11 - Female released
16/11/11 - Pair spawned
21/11/11 - Fry Free swimming and feeding well on BBS and micro worms

Fry 2 weeks old:

Fry 4 weeks old moved to a large grow out and feeding on dry foods and tubifex:

Fry 6 weeks old about 1 inch:

Sam

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
I've managed to get a few better pics now. I pre-jared 9 of the males (in cross-stitch plastic cages suspended in the main tank).

I placed a few of them in the photo tank and tried to get a few pics. I think it went ok.

Male 1 - Orange Dragon

Male 2 - Red Dragon - anal looks too long and not sure about the top line

Male 3 - Orange Dragon

Male 4 - Red Dragon - again the anal seems too long but better top line

Would love to hear your comments,

Sam

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
I have now jarred 16 males and there's another 6-8 soon to be jarred from the grow out.

These are only half of the jarred males.

Male 1 - Really like this fish

Male 2 - Some thick dragon scaling coming on this one

Male 3 - Don't like this one's top line

Male 4 - Really like this male too!

Male 5 - I also really like this one!

Male 6 - He seems to have longer fins, perhaps his grandparents were long finned fish.

There are some really nice males popping up from this spawn. I will get some pics up of the other half of the jarred males soon. Would love to hear your comments!?

Sam

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
This is their current development (13/03/2012);

Male 1:

Male 2 (Male 5 from above): Suffered some injuries when he and Male 1 got into each others cages.

Male/Female 3: Unsure if this is a Male or Female!? I've always thought female but looking at these pics I now think male.

Male 4: Wouldn't flare in the photo tank but I love his white/metallic edge to the caudal

Male 5:

Male 6: Has really long ventrals

Male 7: Wouldn't flare but is stunning

Male 8: Also wouldn't flare but is lovely too

Male 9: Wouldn't flare but has longer than wanted fins and also a slightly short body. However the fins seem almost cellophane like. Could this be a Orange Dragon Cellophane?

Hope you like them, this is just under half of what I have left,

Sam

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I don't have any understanding of what is desirable or not when it comes to Bettas but I like the look of 7 and 8, the scales are kinda cool

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Definately nice looking fish, so did they spawn pretty quick for you?

I had bettas as one of my first fish but none anymore :)

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
They were conditioned for 2 weeks and then placed in the spawning tank. They spawned quite quickly once I released the female.

They spawn quite readily when conditioned properly. Fascinating of you've never tried it.

Sam

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
i think the worst part apart breeding bettas would be the 300 glass jars or whatever u need to put them in when they grow lol