Blind Bristlenose?

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi all, I have noticed my bristlenose that I have had for over 2 years now just above my spray bar and taking alot of air. Today I noticed her eyes looked like that had white around them, but couldn't see becuase of the way that she was postioned. I decided to lift the back of the tank lid off and move her down to the bottom of the tank so I could see properly. When she was at the bottom I noticed that her pupils of her eyes were white, not the whole eye, just the pupils. I quickly took a couple of pictures, then after a while she swam but seemed to bump into some wood. Then she swam to the side of the tank wall and made her way back to the top of the tank by the spray bar, once again taking some air from the top. Here is some picture of her.

As you can see I took a few shots with the flash and she wasn't phased bu it at all. Normally she moves as soon as I get to the tank, let alone camera flashes. What do you think, do you think she has somehow gone blind too? First case I have ever heard of like this, what do you think may of caused it? and what do you think is best for me to do about her? Leave her in that tank, or buy a smaller one just for her? any help would be grately appreciated.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i have had fish get white/cloudy eyes before, normally on newly aquired fish, water quality is normally the problem, when i have had it, i've done daily water changes, to make sure the water was top quality, and they have cleared up within a few days.
have you tested the water?, something may have gone wrong

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Yeah, I've been checking it daily for the last 4-5 days, since she was at the top for air. Everythings seems normal. No new additions to the tank either. The way she acts, is like she cant see, very strange.

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, only a blue phantom about two months or so back. Water changes are still twice weekly using prime. She is the only one like it. I'll try daily w/c see if she improves. It only seems to have started after using some esha 2000. My fighter died so used it as a precaution.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Increased water changes should def help, keep us updated:yes:

what temp is the tank?
Is she eating ok?

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, tank tenp is 26c as it as always been. She doesn't eat when the lights are on when I'm up, no idea if she does when the lights are off when I go to bed.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I think the best you can do is monitor her and keep up with water changes. Let us know how she is getting on.

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, thought I'd update you. Doesn't look good at all. She has bloated right out, to the extent that her scales are beinbg pushed outwards. Breathing is rapid. Doesn't look good for her.

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, she has got worse since the last post. It kinda looks like her scales are peeling off, I've inserted a couple of pics, these are the best I can get.

I'm thinkibng it's proberly best to put her to sleep. I can't see her recovering from this. What do you think?
If so, does clove oil work like it does for guppies etc. If so how much should I use and in how much water. If it makes a difference she is about 5" long. Thanks all:cry:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:(:(
She doesn't look good. Im inclined to agree about putting her to sleep but ive never clove oiled a plec only smaller fish, ill try and find out a dosage.

What were the symptoms of the fighter before it died?
Did you q the phantom?

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, yes the phantom was quarentined for just over 3 weeks. The fighter started falling to one side and just floating in current caused by the filter. I've never used clove on anything bigger than a guppie, not looking forward to it. She was my first ever plec.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Me neither :(

I would do a slighly higher dose than stated in that link, as it states up to 3 inches i think.

KillerKlown

Dec 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, just to let you know I have put her to sleep. :cry I waited till I got home from work incase she showed signs of improvement. Unfortunatly not. I did use a higher dose, just under the fish to 3" it says about larger fish. It's horrid putting a plec to sleep, so different to doing it to a guppie etc. She was the first plec I ever got over 2 Years ago. First ever plec lost too. Silly really, only a fish to some but i'm totally gutted. R.I.P

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Im really sorry, i really hope i never have to:cry:

You did the best thing for her tho.