Bn pleco fry, 100% mortality

Blueberry

Oct 11, 2015
Midwest, U.S.
Hello, all. I'll try to keep this brief, but provide info that might be relevant.

I was gifted three juvenile albino bn, July 2014. As of today, the male is a really attractive egg yolk color, standard fins, about 7cm long. The two females are much paler, long fin, about 5.5cm. They are currently in a 20long with a large floss filled box filter and an HOB with a sponge over the intake. The tank has been up for over a year, stable nitrogen cycle. Temp 76-80. I have very hard, alkaline well water--I use it as it is other than adjusting for temp. Water changes of 40-50% once a week. Half of tank has a sand/gravel substrate and half is bare. Have a few rocks, clay pot pieces for caves, a hollow piece of driftwood open at both ends, and a 6" piece of 1.5" pvc that I sanded inside and out to give it a little "texture" and closed off one end. Bunch of hornwort floating on the top. Only other inhabitants are pond snails and a colony of red cherry shrimp. I feed zucchini, cucumber, bell peppers, green beans--all from the garden so I know there are no contaminants. I also drop in flake food every couple of days or 4-5 cichlid pellets that don't end up in the other tanks.

Early September they had their first spawn. Discovered the male fanning two clumps of eggs at the mouth of the pvc tube. The two clumps got further and further from the tube and the male finally abandoned the tube and didn't pay much attention to either clump. I let them be. Six days later, I had wrigglers--I'm going with 20-25. Many of the fry scattered around the tank, though the male did guard a group of them that took refuge under a rock. I switched routine to 20% water changes every 2-3 days. They seemed to be growing fine. The fry that were out in the tank did appear to grow more quickly, however, than the one's that finally emerged from the protective corraling of the male.

Three weeks in and all at once one morning I discovered about half of them dead. Some of the ones that were still alive were wriggling around kind of like how worms wriggle in the water (best way I can describe it). They'd wriggle a couple inches off the bottom and end up back on the bottom, sometimes sideways. I did a 50% water change. Throughout the following day the rest died as well.

All adult plecos seem normal as ever. The RCS seemed unfazed by the entire event, though they made quick and efficient work of eating the dead fry.

Ideas, thoughts, critique welcome. One thing I've wondered is if the RCS maybe eat so much of the microfauna that it wasn't in abundance for the fry. Or I've read that too much protein early on (perhaps from the flake or pellet remains) can cause problems? Maybe not enough green algae or zucchini skin? Maybe too many water changes? Also, the three adults may be siblings, but I'm not at all certain. There's hopefully a way to improve on 100% mortality.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
heres some help - water changes should not effect the fry in any way - unless incoming water contains toxins... but seeing your shrimp arent effected and the adults seem perfectly normal you can pretty much rule that out....

first time spawners can often produce sub-standard fry first spawn or 2... meaning they maybe weak or all have some sort of internal organ deformities and die off within 1-14 days...

i have found b/n fry survive better in substrates than glass bottoms... although both ways can produce good fry numbers if micro managed... glass bottoms suffer from different kinds of algae/slime growth which fry dont seem to tolerate very well... adult fish dont seem to have any problem with it....

a mass die off within 24 hours to me - is usually something water related...
if they were fed toxic food they would die at different rates just the same as they eat.... usually bigger ones first.... then following size to the smallest ones who find it hard to get food....

im not a fan of feeding cucumber -> mainly as it bears very little goodness for the fish and can foul tank rather quickly (especially in acidic water)
i prefer to feed zucchinni as its rich in vitamins and minerals that your growing fish need...

bloat in fry is something i have found can kill a lot of fry but not 100% in a 24 hour period but rather over few days to a week....

never fed bell peppers or green beans to b/n fry so i have no idea what its like or its effect on fry... i tend to stick with zucchinni and crushed flake food and pumpkin also....

its prob too late to test for ammonia -> may have had a spike big enough to kill b/n fry only... they are prob the most vulnerable fish in your tank.... and a small spike may not have bothered shrimp or adult fish...
this may have damaged their gills and internal organs...

good thing about b/n is they will spawn again soon and give you another chance to raise some fry... :)

Blueberry

Oct 11, 2015
Midwest, U.S.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm glad that nothing jumped out as an immediate error. I'll have to make sure I pay closer attention to the water params next time around. It's possible I missed an ammonia spike. I'll adjust substrate. I have no problem nixing the cucumber since I prefer to make pickles out of them anyway. There's actually a pumpkin farm just down the road. I've never given it to them before and will have to give it a try.

For sure looking forward to the next spawn. Going to keep reading and trying to take it all in and hopefully results will be better next time. It can only get better. Thanks again.