Breeding-L46, L66, L134, L201, L202, L333, L377 ,L397, B/N, L/F, & Peps

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
All bred in the same system over the past 5yrs and it continues...........

System-

1)Tanks- 5ft x 2ft x 2ft, 2 teir x2
2)Furniture- Planted wood, 2 caves for every male, and 2mm gravel
3)Heaters- 2x Jager 300w set to 29'
4)Internal filtration- 3 x Large sponge fillters for each tank
5) Air output- 1x L.P 60 @ 70ltr per min into 4 5ft tanks and a # of air stones
6)External Filtration- 16 stage matrix sump with a Laguna 16000 pumping 14500 ltr per hour through the system, reseviour also has 2 x large sponge fillters , air stone and 2 x Plate size coral pieces.
7)lighting- 8-12hrs every day with T5 fluro lighting
8)Main water Parameters- PH- 6.5 - 6.9 pending on what part of the week e.g start (new water) to the end (@ weekly w/c), K.H 4 - 6 , N- 0 , A- 0.
9)Spawning- Each S.P to there own tank with the exception of The B/N's , L377, L397 and L201 which all lived happy together in the same tank and all spawned.
Dropped the spray arm from a horizontal spray to a near vertical spray, this works for all these S.P ( saves on internal power head).
W/C 20% weekly, Temp drops to 26.9 and slowly rises back 29.5 within 8hrs. Extra W/C always takes place when Barrometer drops, is a very succesful way to get any plec to spawn.
10) Most Important- Let the fish do there own thing, leave them alone , dont shine ur torch in every 5 min, dont mix up there diet to much, dont let sub S.P live together unless u have done ur homework and dont put to much bio load on ur system. Do keep ur tank clean, Do feed good quality foods, Do quarenteen new fish for at least 2 weeks before introducing them and most of all ENJOY the hobby it must be ur passion.

Last edited:

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
Female has tail damage due to an over eager male, It happens offten during breeding time, I dont medicate them unless it (the damaged area) is going fungal.

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
If only it was my full time job, No, still and will always be my hobby.

Its a good break though, I look after people with mental health issues that want to kill you most of the time........

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
If only it was my full time job, No, still and will always be my hobby.

Its a good break though, I look after people with mental health issues that want to kill you most of the time........
Oh okay i deal with people with mental health issues in my job to, only thing is they actually do try to kill me 99% of the time.

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
sounds like you both have awesome jobs :S

must take a lot of patients and self control (as in to not get angry with them etc) to work in any mental health field. i respect anyone in that field as they have there work cut out for them thats for sure!