Busy day

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Well as mentioned in previous posts today was the day i picked up my latest tank :woohoo:
I have to tip my hat to the guy it was by far the easiest dismantle i've ever done, he did pretty much all of it for me :clap:
that was early afternoon and i've only just settled down after a crazy afternoon rebuilding the system. (18.20 its taken me this long to get my bluetooth to work :wb:)
Really happy with the tank, its a fluval 1000 type so just over 3ft x 16" wide and around 17" deep. The filtration that came with it is just the ticket, 1 fluval 405 which was out of use, i've filled it with the media from the 304 i have to seed it and its now doing duties on the 6ft as my secondary filter, the filter on the tank is a 404 with the return plumbed through a fluidized bed filter which i have to say is pretty funky to watch and from the info i've dredged off the net its an excellent Bio filter.
But TBH you don't care about the business end, you want to see pics and find out what fish came with it don't you.
Well i have to say i think they were a bit off with some respects in their advert, mostly sizes.
the fish were described as:
1 x Jack dempsey 6" (just a little over 6")
1 x Clown Plec 5" (actually a Gold Spot (Ptery Joselimaianus) and probably about 6-7")
1 x Common Plec 8" (another Pardalis so i now have 2 :D but he's closer to 10")
1 x Plated catfish 3" (the hoplo is more like 4")
1 x Striped Dora 4" (correctly sized)
1 x Caecillian Worm 8" (correctly sized)
The Rubber Eel is really interesting, you can pick it up like a snake, can't wait to get some pics/vids of this guy he's a really nice addition.
As yet i haven't got many pics of the fish but i'll let you see the tank in all its glory and before anyone starts posting about monster fish in a 3ft tank yes i will be moving these fish around after the proper quarantine period, the pardalis i've noticed has quite a sunken belly so i'll be trying my luck with some veggies and keeping a close eye on him.

Full Tank shot with the Marine Glo and Power Glo bulbs in:

Pardalis and Jack:

F.B.F

Switched to Aqua Glo and Sun Glo bulbs:

Hoplosternum:

Pardalis:

Jack Dempsey:

Yet to get a good pic of Joselimaianus and obviously pics of the Worm oh and Raphael too B-)
Hope you like, ca'nt wait till quarantine is over and i can start moving fish around.
Cheers

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Looks like a really cool tank:clap::clap:

Good luck with the common plec, hope he eats:yes:
Once you get him eating try floating mushrooms for him and the goldspot.

Thanks for the detailed post too, was cool to read and look at pics.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Good luck with the common plec, hope he eats:yes:
He's doing a head stand right now on a piece of cucumber :clap:, but i've started to notice what i can only describe as dandruff on him (through a magnifying glass)
Will have a better look tomorrow, really hoping its not Ich, i have some Parazoryne i could start treating with if need be but i'd be much happier waking up to a clear healthy fish :(
1st time i've tried cucumber as we're out of courgette how long would you leave it in the tank?
hope your well Lisa :hi:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
He's doing a head stand right now on a piece of cucumber :clap:, but i've started to notice what i can only describe as dandruff on him (through a magnifying glass)
Will have a better look tomorrow, really hoping its not Ich, i have some Parazoryne i could start treating with if need be but i'd be much happier waking up to a clear healthy fish :(
1st time i've tried cucumber as we're out of courgette how long would you leave it in the tank?
hope your well Lisa :hi:
Fingers crossed it isn't ich.

I would remove the cucumber in the morning, maybe add a new bit or some deshelled peas--give him some protein

Im cool, thanks:yes::hi:

also, when you get a chance, get some pics of his tummy pattern, make sure he is a pardalis. For two years i thought mine was, turns out he is a disjunctivus.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
definitely spots on the underside not reticulated
just to add, while he's eating he's also producing an almost transparent string of poo, sort of cloudy looking if that makes sense :dk:
is the word translucent?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
definitely spots on the underside not reticulated
just to add, while he's eating he's also producing an almost transparent string of poo, sort of cloudy looking if that makes sense :dk:
is the word translucent?
Keep an eye on that, it could just be the cucumber. If its the same whatever he eats it could be an internal bacterial problem or internal parasites.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Do the other fish just ignore him/her?
Yeah nobody even bothers it which is good, in fact on a few occasions i've spotted it sharing space with the Raphael in his little Hidey :clap:

Pardy looks no better this morning :( he's had a go at the cucumber but the body hasn't cleared up any, heres a pic to show, note cloudy eyes, the white blur around the eyes is just reflection on glass

Pardalis

Katey

May 4, 2009
Your setup is absolutely beautiful! :yes:<3
Hope all works out with that pretty pleco.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Pardy looks no better this morning :( he's had a go at the cucumber but the body hasn't cleared up any, heres a pic to show, note cloudy eyes, the white blur around the eyes is just reflection on glass
How well was he looked after before you got him?
ammonia can cause clouding of the eyes.
It doesn't look like ich though to me

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Ammonia reads about 0
Nitrite reads about 0.3 :dk:
Nitrate reads about 50 :dk:
does anybody else find the Nutrafin Test kits hard to read accurately? for example the nitrite reads 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 1.6, 3.3 how the hell can you get an accurate reading comparing the colour of the water in the tube to the 5 shades on the page :wb:
pH is 6.45
i've raised the temperature to 27.5c for a bit
i have no idea as to his previous treatment, all i can say is, they had 2 big dogs a few cats and some snakes so were obviously pet lovers (though thats no indication) they did have 2 oscars in this tank as well at one point, when they sold the oscars they added the hoplo, Raphael and Worm from another tank.
He doesn't look any worse and he is eating well.
Do you think a water change would help or would the extra stress after the move make things worse?
One thing, i didn't think about it at the time of collection and they might just have forgot, but they didn't give me any foods for the fish so its hard to say when they were last fed, its possible as they've been trying to sell the tank for a bit they might have stopped buying new food and run out :dk:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It will probably stress the other fish if not him, and extra aeration needs to be added. The raise in temp will speed every ones metabolism up which can be a stressor but He probably isn't too bothered as plec like higher temps and it could be the reason why he has started eating. Now he is eating though it could be worth putting it back down a bit.

That nitrite reading shouldn't really be a problem unless it starts rising. The nitrate on the other hand is a little too high, so I think it would be worth doing some water changes just to get that down.

If he is eating now, i would concentrate on sorting the nitrate out. Eating is a good sign and will help him fight any problems.

What was the filtration in the tank again?

The white patches on him, do they look on the surface of the skin or under it?
He isn't flashing at all?
Whats his breathing like?
Hows his poop doing today?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
that eel is funky, really interesting.
hope the plec shapes up soon.
looks like you've had a good day overall