Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp,anyone know much about these? I know a fair bit but from searching,doesnt seem to be much activity..endangered one site said.Your thoughts are appreciated..

Cheers peeps :D

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
bigbird,thankyou for the reply.I just cant see the cost anywhere.just trying to find out more.Nice one.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Just to give you a heads-up, but I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to sell these in the UK.

...The keeping of crayfish as ornamental animals is effectively prohibited. However, an exception has been made for the keeping of certain named tropical species of crayfish, in heated indoor aquaria. A general licence has been issued under the Crayfish Order, in respect of the redclaw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus), a native of Northern Australia. This is the only crayfish currently recognised as a tropical species and therefore incapable of reproducing in the wild in Britain....
<http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/fisheries/freshwater/crayfish.htm#PET>

cheers Darrel

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
dw1305 hey.Just wanted to know what the going rate was? not sure these are the restricted ones anyway.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I've had a look and the law is pretty proscriptive, it covers keeping as well as sale and you can only legally keep Cherax quadricarinatus in the UK.
cheers Darrel

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
thanks for the info..After looking i think i better apply for a license before thinking of getting these here.Its free if i get it.I have defra/cefas inport license anyway so shouldnt be a prob.Thanks again all.lovely little critters..

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I don't think the license will be easy to obtain, it is because of the endangered nature of our European White Clawed Crayfish (following the escape and naturalisation of the American Signal Crayfish.)

I'm pretty sure that someone from "Natural England" will come and remove them from you for "humane disposal" if they know you have them.

cheers Darrel

Details from: <http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/fisheries/freshwater/crayfish.htm#PET>

"There is a general presumption against the issue of keeping licences or licences for the release of non-native crayfish. Applications are usually only considered in respect of keeping in secure sites for scientific research, or for aquaculture, where the crayfish are to be held in secure indoor facilities and sold direct to the food market You will need to obtain a licence prior to the introduction of non-native crayfish for applications in England for the keeping of crayfish you will need to apply on form CRAY2, if you wish to release crayfish into the wild then you must apply for a licence on form ILFA1 direct to CEFAS. .....

Licences are free of charge and will be issued by CEFAS following a full consultation process with the Fish Health Inspectorate - who may undertake an inspection of the facilities in which the crayfish are to be kept - the Environment Agency and English Nature. The issue of licences usually takes about a month following receipt of an application. There may be conditions placed on the licence and a licence may be time limited.
Offences and penalties

Under the Crayfish Order an offence will have been committed if a person:

* keeps any non-native crayfish without being in possession of a valid licence;
* fails to meet any conditions (specific or general) placed on that licence, including supplying listed species to a third party who is not in possession of an appropriate licence.

Failure to comply with licence conditions may result in licences being revoked and possible prosecution. Maximum penalties of up to £2500 can be enforced in cases of non-compliance with the legislation depending on circumstances, illegally held crayfish will be seized and destroyed.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 a person guilty of an offence shall be liable:

* On summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding statutory maximum;
* On conviction on indictment, to a fine.
."

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
I was gonna get them as a gift..I havent got yet.I think i may have to think twice about it now.ill try for license.If not i cant have them,simples!! thanks alot all for the information,much appreciated.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I understand why there is a prohibition on keeping most crayfish in the UK, but I should think the chance of the orange morph of Cambarellus patzcuarensis becoming naturalised in the UK is less than nil, it is just a "belt and braces" approach.

It isn't much of a problem for us in the UK, but the same sorts of laws are the reason why New Zealand, Hawaii and Australian members can keep a much more limited range of stuff. You only have to look at those countries for the damage that the imported, Rabbit, Carp, Frog, Deer etc ."wrong animal in the wrong place" can cause.

cheers Darrel