can too much veggies cause bloat ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hi,
I have 2 L128 juvies. They eat a variety of veggies ,a different kind each night. I have recently noticed they seem to want more, coming out in the day, and I have given them a little more in the day ,which disappears quickly.

question is , should I feed them twice a day now as they are getting bigger ? My husband thinks they will get bloat if I feed them more :dk: so is he misinformed?

any advice appreciated .
Georgie

Rey

Feb 17, 2011
Texas
I think softened or cooked veg's can pose a risk if given to large portions.

I've seen my plecs eat thru squash and zucchini with no issues when it is raw but I still try and visually measure the amount of vegetable matter to the amount of pleco's and their stomach sizes in the tank.

I once had an issue with feeding sweet potato that was boiled to my L90 panaque he got pretty bloated looking, I was very worried :eek:hmy:but a day or two of fasting and he went back to normal after pooping lots and lots of bright orange. :D

I will let more experienced member post on this but just wanted to add that experience to avoid any issues like that. It may have been too large a piece of sweet potato and since it was soft he kept eating too much of it, not sure.

Only veg I feed not raw is broccoli which can have more nutrients if cooked a bit, and they eat the stems more when it is softer. Also sugar snap peas in order to de-shell them I steam those regularly and feed the pods and de-shelled peas. The individual pea shells I've heard can cause a blockage.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I havn't had any issue with bloat by feeding veggies...I never boil or blanch them either as I find it's not required...Panaque being a wood eating machine will munch through raw potato or sweet without any problem, so no need to soften first.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks , I never cook the veggies either, they go in raw. ok , I will give 'um more to eat , good to know :)
Georgie