Cheap attractive practical breeding trap - from Ikea!

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I've made my own traps out of all sorts in the past, from ferrero rocher tubs, Ice cream tubs to purpose made acrylic ones - but I've found the following while shopping in Ikea!
I think is ideal - its long and thin providing the perfect shape for a good flow rate through it and is a size that is relatively un-obtrusive.

They are 48cm long - 9cm high - sloped from 10cm at the top to 9cm (higher surface area) they even have 2 key holes in the back to put your suckers into!

They hold approx 4L of water :)
AND Only cost £2.99!

Ikea details
Item number - 201.205.77
Item is called "Rationell Variere" and is a Spice rack - found in the kitchen items section (with the pan hanging solutions etc)

I've now made a good few of these and think I've got it nailed.

Using a wood drill bit I've drilled a grid of 5mm holes in one end, A piece of cut filter foam covers them to filter the out going water. The holes don't go all the way to the bottom of the trap so that it leaves water in the trap when you do water changes :)

At the other end there is a single hole for water input - in my case this is via a "cheap" small internal filter that comes with a spray bar...

I've used Fluval suckers (pack of 4) as they fit well into the keyhole holes in the trap. and I've cut down Fluval 3+ sponges for the ends.

Anyway - here are a few pics to get your own ideas flowing :)
(I sell these as a kit if people are interested)

The small internal filter

10mm hole for spray bar

20x 5mm holes for sponge filtered outlet

All together

Filter close up

Water Change

In operation

I

intrepidmax

I have looked at this so many times and everytime I think the same thing......genius.

I could go to Ikea and get tons of these but I keep forgeting so as i spend much of my awake time in the sites i might aswell ask how much are your kits?? I dont need sponge if it helps...ive got hundreds of them lol.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Been selling them at £25 inc P&P

I've got the kit to put together 1 complete kit ready to go at the moment - posted one this morning :)

I've got 3 of the traps drilled if you just want that and sort the water source yourself - you dont need the suckers either if I remember rightly :)... £10 posted.

I

intrepidmax

Thats correct and i also still need to send some to mars. i keep forgeting cos im dense.

right whats your paypal addy and i will have 2 traps drilled without filtration please.

Oscar52

May 3, 2009
South Yorkshire - UK
Thats a great idea, been dragged round ikea today so picked up a few of the spice racks going to try my hand at converting them tomorrow suckers and filters ordered from ebay.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Made one of these today after what seemed like an eternity finding the flippin spice racks in Ikea :wb:

Couldn't get the Aqua flow 50 filter in my lfs but found something similar which works a treat :D

Many thanks for posting this Russell :clap:

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
good news...

Just sold another one actually :)

To answer a question that came via PM... I've not had any problems with fry getting out of the wide section of the keyholes when the suckers are in - but I do see why a small bit of sponge couldnt be jammed in there to stop any that might be more determined :)

I wouldnt silicon the gap though as the suckers are a bit below the plastic and can be awkward to get off the glass and its easier just to un clip the trap from the suckers and then get the suckers ogg the glass ;)

Bahney

Jan 22, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire
good news...

Just sold another one actually :)

To answer a question that came via PM...
it was me ;) guilty as charged!

i have actually found another way to mount the filter as wlel which imo is slightly better, as it shows in your pics the filter weight is supported by the fry trap itself (it hangs on the end)

if you dont use all the spray bar parts and make an L shape rather then a U shape it allows you to attatch the fry trap to the front glass and the filter to the right hand side of the tank so it has more support.

i'm just looking forward to my next batch of fry now :) EXCITED!!!