Cherry shrimps

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
I'm thinking of Getting some cherry shrimp but don't know much about them. Can anyone help me and tell me what conditions are best for them? Thanks

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I breed cherry shrimp. I have them in a few tanks, they are good at eating any remains of food left in the tank. They will tolerate a wide range of temps, I've had them in with zebs at 30-31C. I have them in tanks with Bristlenose, 144's, 270's, cory's at the moment. As long as they have cover incase they feel threatened they would be fine. They will breed like mad aswell.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Ok thanks mate. Are they fairly easy to keep? I'm just wondering and thinking of getting some. How big do they get and what price are they? Cheers mate

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
Fully grown they get to about an inch in length. Cost wise my lfs sell them for £2.95 each. I sell mine for £1 each or buy 10 get 5 free. They don't really need special care if they are in with other fish they will eat any food lying around. I do have java moss in my tanks which they like for cover and to eat aswell.

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
They can't tolerate any copper in meds or fertilizers, so be carful if you ever have to medicate their tank to check the ingerdiants

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
No they are fine so you should be fine. In good water and no predators they will breed like mad, although the cories may see the young ones as a snack if they come across them. My male endlers and kuhili loches certainly do. Good luck with them they are really intresting to watch

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
They are the best species of shrimp to begin with, don't tolerate copper or high nitrates, temps from 24>26 is ideal, they eat anything, they will breed if there is enough cover, they will clean the eggs of other fish, They are very interesting little critters..
You will love them..

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I started with a few as a present from some one who will remain nameless and now I must have around 30 to 40 in each tank

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think they are probably worth 50p each from a private breeder and £1.50 each from a shop last time I got rid of some think I let 20 go for about 7 quid because they never stop breeding. One tank I don't ever add food into or clean much, they still breed and only food source they eat is the algae growth. They get in your externals and breed in there and I put some in my big tank but somehow even though they get preyed on are still finding a way to keep multiplying but keep my plants and the wood clean and the black widows catch a few now and then so keeps them in check.