cleaning external filter pipes idea

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hi guys and girls

I posted a thread a while back asking for help with my external filter as the power had reduced.... with some fantastic help i was told to clean the pipes.... well D'oh... silly me what a rokey mistake!

I got to the lfs and the pipe cleaner d-mac had suggested was £15... ouch said my skint pocked... so we had an idea.... instead of buying the full kit with the cleaner head and the lead we just bought the cleaner heads.... they look like this

then I stole a metal coat hanger while the other half wasnt loooking......

I undone the coat hnager so it was totally straight.... and the twisted the metal of the two together....

Works perfectly to clean the pipes.... cost me £2.50 instead!

Hope it helps some one....

Cole

Attachments

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
50% less they wern't taking the pi*s:yuck::eek:hmy: at my lfs or anything where they!! Cheers for the link bob... good job my lfs do quality fish or i'd have to leave them :rip:eek:ut of Principle!:blink:

respect
cole

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
I have never cleaned the pipes this way, I run tap water fast through one end into a bucket so all the gunk comes out works a treat for me.

and repeat until n o more gunk always clears the pipes.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hey mike, I tried that but mine were so gunked up it didn't all come out. . . Teach me to not do it sooner! Respects cole

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
We buy all these sorts of cleaning brushes for the lab. glassware, I'll need to get prices, but I have a suspicion they will be cheaper than even in Bob's link. I've got a couple that are designed for cleaning Test tubes, but they are good for cleaning impellers etc and also twisting up algae etc..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-16mm-Test-Tube-Cleaning-Brush-Glass-Laboratory-NEW-/120419094979?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c098991c3

If people post the sizes of a few brushes, I'll get approximate prices.

cheers Darrel