Clown Pleco Sexes...

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
Heya Folks,

Here is my 2 Clown Plecos,
Fish 1:

Fish 2:

They are very shy although dont mind being picked up, really surprised the ones ive seen in shops are manic!

anyway if anyone would like to have a guess? if not i can buy another 3 for about £25 is this a good price?

Then i can have a family of 5, as always the more i have the more chance but fingers crossed, to me one looks slightly hairyer and the nose is different, anyway whats your opinons

They are about 2-3 inches at the moment and eating tetra prima.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Both look pretty 'hairy' so im going with males.

I would say 3 for £25 is good:yes:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i'd happily pay £25 for 3, i think they are great little plecs, and as Doodles says, they do both appear to be male

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
i'd happily pay £25 for 3, i think they are great little plecs, and as Doodles says, they do both appear to be male
so there deffiently old enough to be sex'd they were all the same size in the shop and i dont think they've grown much, i wonder if i should try to get some females.

are they impossible to breed, read some sites which claim there extremely difficult to breed or are they the same as BN?

in the shop some were a light colour others were a dark i chose all dark, should i take a mixture? or is there any obvious signs they are females(other than hair)? wat price do these normally fetch?

Many thanks

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
hmmm are they sell on able if i end up with a meat fest (all males), how old wud u say they are being that size?

i may take a drive to the shop and see if they still have them in stock, they are very cute plecos though, very funny watching them.

thanks for the log interesting read, they are currently on argos play sand with lots of drift wood, so seems good :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Should be able to sell on, a lot of peeps like them. Not sure what age they are though.

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
ok went shopping today and got three more, had a look in the shop...

here are all 5 together...

another shot

any females now :dk:

:)
many thanks

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
they are hard to sex without closer pics really, but there are definitely 2 different body shapes, so i'd say you have a nice mix.

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
they are hard to sex without closer pics really, but there are definitely 2 different body shapes, so i'd say you have a nice mix.
heya

thankyou, they look the same to me, which parts are you looking at on them? to show different shapes?

thanks

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
heya

I took photos of their "pumps" :) lol and they all look the same, maybe there just too small to be sex'd yet? i can post their "pumps" if it will help :) what is the growth rate of these? everyone ive asked has just replied "take forever" but a real approximate growth rate, i know correct water conditions, right size tank etc... but what is an average you can expect from them.

thanks

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
at a rough guess, i'd say that mine were fully grown afater about 2 years (but that a very rough guess)

females tend to be more plump than males, but all of my male clowns are fatties too so can be very hard to tell, you can see that 3 of yours have a more pointed nose than the other 2

MiB1986

Jan 31, 2010
UK, Kent
at a rough guess, i'd say that mine were fully grown afater about 2 years (but that a very rough guess)

females tend to be more plump than males, but all of my male clowns are fatties too so can be very hard to tell, you can see that 3 of yours have a more pointed nose than the other 2
so based upon this what would you say the ratio is? 3 female to 2 male? or 2 male to 3 females at a guess?

i can see in the photo, the one at the bottom left is more pointier than the one on the bottom right. but thats about it? :dk: