community breeding

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I currently have a rio 180 fully decorated with plants and wood, i decided a while ago to use it as a breeding tank with a twist......more than one species of plec and other altogether different species of fish. At the moment a male L260 is fanning a clutch of eggs, previously my tatia have had many spawnings but no fry and have also bred a cory species and looks like my lemon tetras are having a go too. Does anyone else have mutliple species breeding tanks?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i'm trying to get my L104 going, but in the mean time, the whiptails are in there spawning like theres no tomorrow, did have sterbai breeding in there too, and of course there are hundreds of shrimp in there multiplying faster than i can count

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have marbled BNs, (LDA08) , Choc Zebs (L270), and guppies all breeding in one tank - some corys occasionally lay eggs but no young as think the plecs or tetras get them.
often one species spawning helps encourage others.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
ha ha. yes I guess the trick is to get a good community that dont predate fry. Plus lots of dense cover like thick java moss helps for fry like corys etc.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I have my albino longfins breeding in with congo tetra.
I found it difficult to breed anything other than ancistrus in sp. tanks the hypans and peckoltia seem to be more active when they have company.
LMAO CUP

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
My platies are spawning sucsesfully in my community lol.Have managed to save 2 to my hospital tank and i think theres still 2 in the main tank.Noone else seems interested lol.

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
FF, how did you manage to get your Lemon Tetra's spawning? I've had a shoal of about 15 for a couple of years, with not even a sign of spawning....

As for multiple species breeding in 1 tank, all I've achieved is BN's and Endlers in 1 tank!

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Livebearers don't count :p

I've spawned a few tetras and danios - but unless you try to breed them they eat their own eggs and you wont be any the wiser... from what I can work out they normally spawn in the early hours - I've had tanks with just the egg scatters in, nothing there at about 2:00am and I'll come down at 7:00am and they will have spawned. I'm guessing but I feel they probably get it on as the sun starts to come up :)

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
FF, how did you manage to get your Lemon Tetra's spawning? I've had a shoal of about 15 for a couple of years, with not even a sign of spawning....

As for multiple species breeding in 1 tank, all I've achieved is BN's and Endlers in 1 tank!
Hello Andy.

I recently added a little peat and a cattappa leaf to the tank so that may have had some influence, i suspected they were getting ready as the males have got really colourful with black edging to all their fins, which i have never seen on lemon tetras before and they were squaring up to each other. I saw them spawn yesterday late morning/early afternoon in a densely planted part of the tank. If you miss the spawning i doubt you will see the eggs they are the smallest i have ever seen, not much bigger than a pinhead!!

Last edited: