congo tetra question

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
basically same question re rams (see previous question if have not read it )

So wonder if anyone has any experience with congo tetras for my tank ? would they be a good fit ,and if so, how many ? Thanks guys, appreciate your help in getting the right peaceful fish with some color to spiff up my main tank . Would love to hear any pros and cons on these guys .

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Congos are a great fish but like most tetras do best in at least a small shoal, say 8 or 10 fish. The should not pose any problems for you.
As for the Rams, well, they are peaceful fish, as far as cichlids go, but they ARE cichlids and will have a go at anything if they decide to, especially if you have a pair. They usually spend most of their time in the bottom half of the tank so i could see there being potential issues if you put them with the stock you already have.
HTH

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Congos are beautiful but can get quite large as tetras go. I guess my first question though was what were you seeing in the diamonds that was concerning you? I dont think there is a fish that ive kept that i havent seen some form of aggressive behavior from. Some, like tetras, are usually harmless. Others can be worse. This is where Bob would usually point out that its simply nature doin its thing and its amplified by us keeping the fish in a small enclosure, at least when compared to nature. However as long as there isnt serious damge done i wouldnt much worry about things.

If you watch any discovery chanel documentary about animals that live in packs youll get a pretty good idea of whats going on with your fish. A word of caution though, larger schools of fish typically reduce the overall aggression, smaller groups amplify it. This is one reason keeping just two of any fish, except for a mated pair, is not always a great idea. You end up with one dominate fish picking on the other weaker fish. In a larger group the aggression us spread throughout the group.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi , Been, yeah the rams are out, definitely not a good fit for my mellow tank.
Lorne, I purchased 8 diamonds initially. within a week 2 got huge(obviously getting most of the food) ,they chased and stressed male dwarf rainbow to death, yet they left the females alone. They chased and bullied the harlequin raspboras ,swimming side by side to them and scaring them out of their hidy plant ,it was not enjoyable to watch, esp after loosing the male dwarf rainbow, and slowly I took back the diamonds that were getting huge and bullying the other fish. The 3 I kept could be females , not sure but they are not as big ,and no hassles with the other fish. I do get it, like kids on a playground..same behaviors, or in the wild. I couldnt put the other 5 harlequins in the 54g as they were too small, wanted to give them a chance to buff up some. 3 are ready and will soon go in the 54g.

Humm, maybe I should forget about color and go safe with Bleeding Heart tetras. They get big too, but hopefully they will be mellow in a group. Gotta decide on the congos or the bleeding hearts now . thanks guys , appreciate.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I wouldn't say bleeding hearts are safe. In general in my experience deep bodied tetras tend to be more boisterous than those with narrow bodies. Something like neons or cardinals or pencils are pretty docile all in all.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Lorne, will stay away from Bleeding Hearts . Never saw a real congo,only pics, so would you say congo tetras are also deep bodied and could be a prob ? I was kinda leaning that way but dont want to have to return more fish. I am going to the store on Sat to pick up my other L128 and they have the congos , but now I am wondering if they will be too big and rowdy and freak out the harlequin raspboras.:dk::dk:

thanks ,

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Congos aren't what I'd call tall bodied but they can get almost 4" if not more so that fact alone can make them difficult to house with small timid fish.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks very much Lorne, back to reading more fishie profiles for me . :wacko:
Wanna get this right before purchasing . Appreciate .