Cory stocking?

I'n new here and I just started today, so I am learning the ropes, but I decided to ask a question and start a new thread. I have a ten gallon. beautifully planted with an awesome driftwood chunk, excellent filtration, etc... but I have a male and female endlers livebearer, 7 neon tetras, and a single (yes, I know. horrible:cry:) bronze cory. I have a twenty gallon tank in my garage, but due to space issues, I can't have it set up for about a year or more. I was wondering if this tank is overstocked, and if not, how many cories could I get for him (or her.) Also, I have 5 cherry shrimp which just swim around and do their own thing. will the cory eat the endler's fry? will it eat the eggs of the spawning neon tetras? I have had some experience with pleco's and I HATED them, so now I have moved on (and fallen in love) with cories. however, I can't get rid of the other fish, too.

P.S. how do you get rid of extra tiny particles that can't get sucked up by the filter WITHOUT harming the shrimp? thanks! :D

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Welcome aboard! Come to a plec forum & say you hate plecs? lol.
What filter(s) are you using?
How often & how much water do you change?

Corys typically like being in larger groups or 6 or more, however bronze corys get prety large so a group that size would probably be too large for your current tank. I'd think 3 total would be safe (depending on filtration).

The biggest issue I see with you tank right now is the occupants. Endlers will reproduce with reckless abandon as will the cherry shrimp. Unless you remove some from time to time you'll soon be overstocked in your tank.

Corys will not eat the endlers fry unless the fry are already dead. They will eat the neon eggs though.

You can place a sponge over the inlet of the filter (provided you're using a power filter).

I have the marina S20 (I believe) and i do regular water changes. I have recently found out that every single cherry shrimp died and that they never laid eggs. one of the neon tetras died (got smashed accidentaly when I tookout the driftwod because algae growth and then put it back in) and the endler's fry get eaten when they birth, so that isn't an issue. I love all catfish, but I cannot STAND pleco's. they ate everythig in my tan and starved everything else once so never again. that's what I have.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup agree otos are great. try them or hill stream loaches but they need fast water andlower temps. cheers jk :thumbup:

My LFS doesn't carry any ottos. and I don't really have to room for another tank.:cry: I recently (and by recently I mean on saturday) got a 45 gallon with sharks cories and neons. I put one of my cories in, so the cory in the 45 could have a friend, and now the tank is perfect. adding any ottos will look like ****.